Friday, December 16, 2011

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!



I won't go "Trudeau" on you, but I will issue a grumpy alert. Call me crazy, but I don't appreciate being lied to. I really get annoyed when it is my government with their pants on fire. At the risk of appearing partisan, I'm tired of the lies of our federal government. It began, for me, with our local member of parliament, Bev Oda, who did not tell the truth about cutting funding to a highly respected inter-church agency called Kairos.


Then there was Peter McKay and the Newfoundland fishing trip where he told a whopper about a chopper called in for his convenience. The first pastoral charge I served was right there and I can tell you he didn't need a helicopter at his beck and call, but it was the big fib about what was going on which bugs me.


Now we hear that the Conservatives were deliberately spreading lies about liberal MP Irwin Cotler's retirement. While this has been described as "reprehensible" by the Speaker of the House, there have been no consequences. But of course why would there be? The previous incidents went unpunished as well.


I can remember when politicians who lied were required to fall on their swords for their sins. They weren't exactly forthcoming, but in the end the public reminded them that there is a difference between right and wrong, even for those in the political realm.
I don't care whether it is Green's, the Liberals, NDP, Conservatives. Tell the truth or accept the outcome!
Anyone else share my disgust? Are you wondering how I could be so naive? Just a grim sign of the times?

3 comments:

janet.rice said...

When I was young, I thought my father was awfully cynical about politicians. Guess who is the cynical one now.
If you enjoy political satire (Canadian), read The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis. Very witty.

Susan said...

I was appalled at Ota's lies and stunned when the riding elected her back into office. I'm fast on my way to becoming very cynical about politics and it's dirtiness!

Kathy said...

Take a look at Jeffrey Simpson's column today in the Globe (and the comments). Your observations on the arrogant behaviour of this group in power is shared by many (a bit of a comfort). But you're right-- what are the consequences? In the Irwin Cotler business, more pressure on the Speaker might be of use.