Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Naming the Joys

My last visit this past week was to a guy named Dave I have mentioned before. I have been visiting Dave for years now because he is a paraplegic, going from a big, strong and, by his own admission, rather brash man to being wheelchair bound. I have watched the transition with Dave from someone who had an edge, still wondering why this had transpired and whether a solution might be found, to a much more accepting and tender-hearted person who is grateful for the gifts of each day and for the people who provide him support and care.

Do you recall that I wrote about visiting Dave in hospital two Christmas mornings ago? I went early that day and read him the Christmas story and prayed with him. He had experienced weeks and weeks of problems which seemed to get worse with treatment rather than better. That day we didn't say what we were both thinking, that this might be his last Christmas.

On Friday I read the Lukan birth of Christ passage again, but I commented that this time we could concentrated on the joy, rather than the angel's assurance "don't be afraid." He agreed whole-heartedly. Two thousand eleven was a good year for him and we prayed 2012 would also hold promise as well. He didn't mind admitting that all this made him emotional.

Hey, this is the good stuff of ministry. There is plenty of disappointment and sadness in the lives of the folk we get to know and care for. But it's important to name the joys.

3 comments:

IanD said...

Glad to hear that things are on the up and up for Dave after a hard year. Each new year brings hope, which I like.

Laura said...

Dave, and others who carry such hardships with grace, are an inspiration. St Paul's is blessed to witness many gracious and inspiring travellers. Thank-you for your examples.

David Mundy said...

I just end up feeling better around people such as Dave and as you point out Laura, many others.