Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Sunday


Last Monday evening we sat in our backyard and quickly became aware of the profusion of butterflies all around us. There were alot and they landed on our chairs and even the books we were reading. It turns out that they are Red Admirals and part of the biggest migration of this particular species in recorded history. While it seemed we had quite a few, one yard in southwest Ontario was visited by an estimated 20,000.
Hey I delight in butterflies in mid-April. But, yes, there is a catch. The unseasonably warm weather in the American south has probably pushed this early and huge migration and our early Spring has aided and abetted the process. And it may be that climate change is causing this anomaly. Personally I'll take it over the tree-munching beetles which are devastating forests in the Canadian west.
Why does it have to be so complicated! On this Earth Sunday which coincides with Earth Day I reaffirm that God's intention is for me to look on Creation and echo the repeated words of Genesis "it is good." That doesn't give me the right to abdicate responsibility for Earth care and responsible living.
What are your thoughts this Earth Sunday? Are you hopeful for the future of the planet? Can you still delight in the beauty around you?

2 comments:

roger said...

As I walked to church this morning, I was encouraged as I stopped and chatted briefly with a father and his two young children, who were picking up garbage on the trail. They all had full bags!

On my walk to work each day, I cannot keep up with the garbage that keeps appearing each morning. I pick up what I can, but it is a losing battle. That is the discouraging part. I have seen people just nonchalantly tossing garbage, and I just wonder what is going on in their minds.

A huge inspiration for me is my sister, who walks 45 minutes each way to work, each and every day regardless of weather, and carries 3 bags. She picks up the garbage and recyclables and puts them in the appropriate bag. Her efforts did not go unnoticed(although she would have been quite happy if they had). I was heartened when she was thanked by the city mayor, had a half page article in the city newspaper written about her, and was even in the CBC news. She has even had motorists who see her each day stop and thank her or given her a Tim Hortons gift card! All of this in a very large city.

Way to go sis! You've set the bar very, very high!!

Anonymous said...

Roger, I admire your sister's committment.
David,I had noticed the butterflys, but today I noticed them more.