Sunday, April 08, 2012

Easter


Last week I stopped in to my dentists' office to pay a bill. The person ahead of me was chatty with the staff and finished up with "have a good holiday weekend." When I finished my transaction I said "have a wonderful Easter -- it's still Easter to me." I have never got used to the gross commercialization and secularization of Christmas and the silly political correctness of expunging all references to things Christian from the season.
The same seems to be happening with Easter. It has become a second Christmas for many with gift-giving replacing the celebration of resurrection life. If Easter is nothing more than an extra day or two off work and more electronic doodads then why do we bother?
Instead I'll stick with the opportunity to affirm that this life, with all its "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" (thank you Hamlet) is richer and fuller with the prospect of forgiveness and eternity. As you will know from reading my blog, I'm not fixated on the life to come because there is so much possibility for compassionate and abundant living in the here-and-now. Yet the empty tomb speaks to me of a hope that is beyond imagining through the resurrected Christ.
Have a wonderful Easter.

3 comments:

IanD said...

And you, too David.

Laura said...

Agreed...was grateful to spend a good part of the last 72 hours with St Paulers, young and old, for whom Easter is more than a new spring outfit and a chocolate bunny.Blessings and thanks for your leadership through Lent and into Easter, both on and off-line.

David Mundy said...

You definitely paid the ultimate price of time this weekend Laura! The sleepover from Maundy Thursday evening to Good Friday morning is a huge commitment. Thank you!