Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Family First


Yesterday Republican leadership candidate Rick Santorum dropped out of the race . It was becoming increasingly apparent that he could not win against Mitt Romney but he was a strong second and showed no signs that he was quitting.
Over the Easter weekend Santorum's three-year-old daughter Bella was hospitalized once again because of her severe chromosonal disorder, an illness which is lethal. Santorum withdrew citing Bella's illness and his family commitments as reasons.
It's easy to be cynical about politics but I have no reason to doubt that Santorum is being honest. He is a conservative Christian whose children are home-schooled and who talks alot about family values. His theology makes me cringe, yet he does have convictions which probably led to this decision.
More power to him. Over the years too many of us have placed ambition above family at times. Santorum is probably a far better dad than he is a politician and little Bella needs him.
Were you surprised to hear of his withdrawal? Relieved? Do you trust his rationale?

3 comments:

roger said...

I hate to be so cynical, but I am RELIEVED that he withdrew. He has said things over the last few months that shocked me. Undoubtedly, he would have appealed to many in the "bible belt".

I am not crazy about very many politicians, but I truly hope Obama gets back in. Too many others are beating the war drums.

IanD said...

Too many with too little between their EAR DRUMS, is more like it.

I too am relieved that the good (former) senator's going back to his cave, his knuckles dragging behind him.

David Mundy said...

I am intuiting that neither of you are fans!