Friday, April 12, 2013

Knitting and Worship



For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. Ps. 139:13

One of the many fine pastoral care initiatives at St. Paul's is the Prayer Shawl Ministry. My wife, Ruth, was a part of getting it rolling (a little wool humour there) but it is really a collaborative effort. The gang meets occasionally, knits religiously, and the shawls have gone hither and yon to those going through challenging circumstances. The recipients have been young and old and in between. They always receive a written prayer along with the prayer-blessed shawl.

Someone wrote an online opinion piece recently asking if it would be okay for knitters to do their darningest (sorry) during worship. Many knitters can almost go on automatic pilot as they work, and claim they can listen intently as they create. So why not in church?

It had never occurred to me, but I generally work on the premise that folk can wear what they want, and bring what they want ( a cuppa java perhaps) to worship as long as they don't distract others. Maybe there could be a knitters pew. As long as it was clack-free and there was no whispering about patterns or swearing over missed stitches, I really wouldn't care. It would be nice to think that worship was a place where we prayed with words and the shawls were a benediction carried into the community.

What do you think? Is it okay for us to stretch the traditional boundaries of what happens in worship? Would you be distracted, or offended, or delighted to be near a knitter in church?

6 comments:

IanD said...

That's a great idea. You could get a little sign made for the knitter's pew and call them the "Lambs of God."

(Bad-dum.)

When my uncle was struggling with cancer, he had a prayer shawl that brought him a lot of comfort. My mom's also a crazy knitter, too.

I remember my first hockey fight when I was sixteen: here I was swinging this big thug from Oshawa around, and all I could seriously hear from the stands were Mom's knitting needles clashing together like light sabres.

That's when I knew that no matter what dude did to me on the ice, I was in for it ten times worse when I got home!

willowjakmom said...

Absolutely. In a time where we are moving forward, becoming more progressive in every other way, I think it's a lovely visual reminder of tradition. I too, was the recipient of one of these shawls and I can't tell you how much I cherish it.

To take this in another direction- blog readers who are teachers might know where I am coming from when I say that we are living in a time when many of our generation are dealing with challenges that affect their focus and attention. Arguments aside of the root of these challenges (the ADHD vs sugar/diet debate vs simply bad manners), I know that my own kids require supports to help them to attend. If it means keeping their hands busy with a squishy massage ball, or doodling, or knitting-- if these are things that could be incorporated or encouraged (again, hoping that it doesn't cause too much distraction for the others), I think that more families would be apt to participating on Sundays because they wouldn't be so worried about their children's behaviour in the pews. Seeing a row of knitters may also put people more at ease, takes us out of the stereotypical church-expectation of straight backs, eyes forward.

I think that it just takes a conversation that starts from the pulpit so that people in the pews hear a bit of 'an explanation' for what they are seeing taking place around them, so that assumptions aren't made that this is just one more step away from tradition. I'm sure there would be a fear of going from knitting needles and squishy toys to everyone wearing ball caps, eating McDonald's and throwing their trash in the aisles!

Nan said...

I know that I would be one of the distracted if sitting near a knitter, or anywhere where I could see the knitter. The constant movement and clicking of the needles would be hard to ignore and would make it difficult to keep my attention on what was happening a the front of the church. Not a good idea.

Nancy said...

I wouldn't be distracted but more intrigued to sit and watch the creation take place. There is something to be said for sitting quietly and if not listening :) at least being still and pondering life, letting your thoughts run away with you.

I have received a shawl and also made one to give a way to a friend with cancer. The act of both giving and receiving a prayer shawl is very meaningful.

Judy said...

I agree with Nan - not a good idea - too distracting - this is the one time we gather as a community of faith and I think our attention needs to be on the worship experience... we could also bring our decks of cards and play a quiet game of euchre, or poker or Uno.... or a Trivial Pursuit board, etc - there is enough to hinder us from really listening for God's word for us ... let your knitting be an out of worship offering ... and I do appreciate the knitters' gifts - I received the gift of a prayer shawl when my husband passed away 8 years ago, from a friend whose mom attended the Anglican Church across the street from my church - it was much appreciated and gratefully received and well used, then and now!

David Mundy said...

I enjoy I when commenters agree to disagree. I will be watching for that Trivial Pursuit game Judy!