Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Sexiest Month


Okay, I'm going to admit that firing off blog entries in the midst of packing, arranging, and saying goodbyes is getting a tad more challenging. But here I am!

In an article published nearly a decade ago celebrated author Barbara Kingsolver refers to April as the sexiest month. There is a whole lot of action for critters great and small as they stake territory and procreate and give birth. The article is called A Fist in the Eye of God and it is beautifully written. http://www.organicconsumers.org/gefood/SmallWonders.cfm

Kingsolver begins by reflecting on watching a hummingbird build its gossamer nest:

If you had been standing with me at my kitchen sink to witness all this, you
would likely have breathed softly, as I did, "My God." The spectacular
perfection of that nest, that tiny tongue, that beak calibrated perfectly to
the length of the tubular red flowers from which she sucks nectar and takes
away pollen to commit the essential act of copulation for the plant that
feeds her - every piece of this thing and all of it, my God. You might be
expressing your reverence for the details of a world created in seven days,
4,004 years ago (according to some biblical calculations), by a divine being
approximately human in shape. Or you might be revering the details of a
world created by a billion years of natural selection acting utterly without
fail on every single life-form, one life at a time. For my money the latter
is the greatest show on earth, and a church service to end all. I have never
understood how anyone could have the slightest trouble blending religious
awe with a full comprehension of the workings of life's creation.


The article goes on to celebrate creation and the possibility of a Creator without Kingsolver claiming to be a Creationist. I'm with her, as many of you know. My faith is not dependent on a seven-day creation but I am still convinced that there is a Creator. Furthermore, I take seriously our creed's phrase "to live with respect in Creation."

I hope that we all have time to ponder creation in our busy days and connect the beauty around us with God, the Creator.

Comments?

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I have ponder creation all week, as I have watch birds fly in front of me on the country road I take to work, always with twigs, straw, yarn etc. in their mouths. This morning we watched a pair of cardinals (we will continue to feed them for you) at our feeder and wondered where they are busy building their nest. We also watched the purple finches (first day we've seen them back) as they fed at the feeder, despite the flurries blowing around! All of these creatures will procreate and the miracle of it all is truly that, the miracle of creation!

IanD said...

I have the same daily experience as Nancy as I rip down Nash Road every workday morning. It's such a nice time and experience.

All of this also reminds me that I have to teach sex. ed. to 90 intermediate kids in about two weeks (after a five year break from doing so.)

Eesh.

Anonymous said...

Unfortuantely we are too busy witnessing the life cycle of fleas at our house to notice much outside. Although, oddly enough I noticed a certain amount of wonder in myself when I found several neat rows of eggs under the sofa all perfectly lined up in the grooves of the floor. I have learned way more than I ever wanted to know about fleas in the last few days, but it certainly does inspire some fascination with the microscopic lives of parasites. (oh, if only I were busy watching humming birds)Coincidently one of the characters in the book I am reading is a lab assistant studying parasites.(We had a kitten visitor for a couple of days, who brought the plague along with him)