Thursday, January 08, 2015

Freedom to Speak & to Turn the Other Cheek

Embedded image permalink

“Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.   Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Matthew 5:11-12

I do not like it when people are disrespectful of my faith or any other. At times I am frustrated and even angry at those who take what seem to be cheap shots at organized religion or individual piety. For some reason it seems to be "open season" in this regard. Just the same, it never occurs to me that I might do violence to another persons or persons because of my hurt or anger. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus says we better expect it, and bye the way, turn the other cheek.

Yesterday the world was shocked by the actions of Islamic extremists who murdered employees of the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine, along with two policemen who responded to the vicious and cowardly attack. These miserable murderers were offended by the portrayal of the prophet Mohamed in the magazine so in their warped logic the perpetrators must die. I know next to nothing about Charlie Hebdo but the cartoons I've seen suggest that Judaism and Christianity are also mocked on its covers and in its pages. I find that offensive but I'm not required to look at the cartoons. I am also a strong believer in freedom of speech, so I accept that this includes the liberty to make fun of my religion.



We need to note that Muslim leaders in France immediately condemned these senseless, extremist acts. The truth is that religious extremists of every kind have no commitment to love or to freedom. Nor do they seem to have any sense of humour. Their distortion of religion is about power and control, and definitely not about humbly serving a God of love. I have seen this with Christian fundamentalists as well. It would be pathetic if it weren't so dangerous.

Gary Varvel of the Indianapolis Star

This prayer was offered in the immediate aftermath of the murders by the Church of England:

Compassionate God and Father of all,
we are horrified at violence
in so many parts of the world.
It seems that none are safe, and some are terrified.

Hold back the hands that kill and maim;
turn around the hearts that hate.
Grant instead your strong Spirit of Peace -
peace that passes our understanding
but changes lives,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen

1 comment:

roger said...

I think that prayer really sums up what many people feel. It sometimes feels like the world is imploding, with one senseless, murderous act after another.

I watched an interesting interview last night on CNN, and a couple of Muslims from London and Paris were telling Anderson Cooper that Muslims around the world must be more vocal to distance themselves and their religion from these terrorists. I agree.

Unfortunately, for "rednecks" the hate for others probably grows exponentially when these terrorist acts occur.