Wednesday, January 07, 2015

How Do You Spell Encyclical?




encyclical noun:
an official letter from the Pope to the Roman Catholic bishops                                           
 
Most people would be baffled and perplexed by the word encyclical, but there is a fair amount of speculation and excitement about the possibility of an impending papal encyclical by Pope Francis. The subject will be environmental responsibility with a focus on climate change, and would be the first encyclical on the subject by a Roman Catholic pope. Now both his predecessors,  Benedict XVI and John Paul II, issued thoughtful and theologically nuanced statements on the environment, but an encyclical has greater heft in the church, so this would be a progression rather than a departure.

One of the reasons that Pope Francis would issue the encyclical at the beginning of 2015 is because of the climate change conference, COP21 scheduled for December of this year in Paris, France. This is seen as a pivotal conference in terms of forging an international agreement on climate change. These UN sponsored conferences tend to be "much ado about nothing" in terms of substantive agreements, but there seems to be a sense of urgency in this year. Time will tell.



Many faith organizations are already planning how they will support the conference and its initiatives, and a well-crafted statement from the Vatican will be important for the credibility of the broader church, along with other faiths.

A couple of days ago I was pondering what I might say about what is one of the defining issues, if not the defining issue of our time. I wanted to comment on the impending encyclical, and then I heard a piece on CBC radio's The Current during which ecological ethicist and theologian, Heather Eaton, evangelical leader Jim Wallis, and a Green Muslim spokesperson, Asma Mahdi, all reflected on climate change and the importance of the pope's leadership. There is a growing awareness that faith communities have something to say about the care of creation and that we can move from being "light green" to "deep green," to use Eaton's terms. http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2015/01/05/pope-francis-climate-change-religion/

I am heartened by all this. For so many years I have expressed my conviction that a practical response to the environmental issues of our time is truly "gospel," because we declare our conviction that God is Creator and the incarnation of God in Christ is "earthy. What we say, and more importantly, what we do, is an expression of our faithfulness.

So, even if we have only a sketchy understanding of what an encyclical is, we can pray that this one makes a difference.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Frank said...

I too feel some heartening by this news. Granted, most of the secular world won't care.
But I think faith communities can still cry out as solitary voices of hope, as a bulwark against our pervasive hubris (ie. only the inevitable progress of human ingenuity/technology will be our ultimate salvation) and to recognize that we must live with limits.

AGBAZARA TEMPLE said...

My name is SARAH, my partner and I have been trying for a baby for over two years now, We were going to a fertility clinic for about 5 months before somebody told me to contact this spell caster who is so powerful, so i contacted him at this email;(agbazara@gmail.com), for him to help me get prenant,And I'm glad we came to DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE, Because his pregnancy spell cast put us at ease, and I honestly believe him, and his powers really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email at: (agbazara@gmail.com) if you are trying to get a baby, he has powers to do it, he has done mine,

Unknown said...

My love toward my husband hurts, since the day I took the risk and confronted one of his mistress, life was unbearable and it was clear he loves her more than me because he totally changed, and fought with me for confronting her instead of apologizing to me, he left the house for two weeks, froze my account and even served me with a divorce papers through his lawyer. I didn’t know it will get to that, I was disappointed and lost hope on trust, I thought I could have let them be, so I can save my marriage, I was at the verge of losing everything including our house. I needed to do something because I was almost running crazy, no chance to chill, I had only one option to find instant solution before it all disappears. I searched everywhere I could until I met Dr. Ogudugu on the internet with this email: (GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM), people really talked good about him and I was bold to ask him for one. Well, am glad he did at the end my husband came back on his knees, after the spell, begging for forgiveness. From what I have studied lately, my husband has indeed changed and become lovely. We never mentioned or even thought about divorcing again. Am so grateful for Dr. Ogudugu’s help.

blogger said...


Dr.Agbazara is a great man,this doctor help me to bring back my lover Jenny Williams who broke up with me 2year ago with his powerful spell casting and today she is back to me so if you need is help contact him on email: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call/WhatsApp +2348104102662. And get your problem solve like me.