Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Unwise Men!

Bulgarians dive into the icy waters of a lake to catch a cross in Sofia as part of Epiphany Day celebrations. (Dimitar Dilkoff/AFP/Getty Images)

Okay, this is the craziest Epiphany tradition on the planet. In the cold of winter, young men all over Bulgaria jump into rivers and lakes, keeping an old tradition in celebrating the Christian Orthodox feast of Epiphany.

How does this go? A priest throws a cross into a river or a lake for young men to catch it. It is believed that the first person that gets to the cross will enjoy good health throughout the whole year.

Personally, I don't think there is a Wise Man in the bunch! I would love to know how this got started in the first place.

2 comments:

roger said...

Hopefully they have medical staff nearby....I imagine if you aren't injured by twenty others diving on top of you, then maybe your injuries will be from the inevitable grabbing, clawing, scratching and punching that happens in trying to grab the cross! I think I will pass on next year's event!

David Mundy said...

Ya, it really does look wild, doesn't it? I won't be booking my trip to Bulgaria either Roger.