Thursday, May 16, 2019

Silent No More - Mental Health Month

 Image result for justice gascon

A few days ago there was a Twitter alert about an Ottawa Supreme Court Justice who had mysteriously gone missing during the workday. Was this the adult version of an Amber Alert, I wondered? What sort of emergency would lead to him absenting himself from the courtroom? It was serious enough to trigger a police search.


It turned out that Justice Clement Gascon was experiencing a mental health episode. This capable 59-year-old judge went through what thousands of Canadians deal with on a regular basis. They aren't public figures and "newsworthy" but their realities are no less significant than his. 

During my years of ministry I responded to the mental health concerns of scores, perhaps hundreds of parishioners. Some of them were what we might consider extreme, including psychotic and delusional behaviour. One woman showed up at my study door early on a Sunday morning to announce that she was Jesus, returned as a woman! Other highly intelligent and skilled persons dealt with bipolar illness which sometimes led to hospitalization. Sadly some took their own lives and I was required to preside at funerals and comfort devastated families. 

The majority of people simply carried on in the midst of their mental health issues, often with a toll on family life and work. Some "self-medicated" (I'm not partial to that term) with negative consequences.

 Image result for mental health month 2019

There were many positive situations as well, where individuals found solace and strength in their faith and faith community, and sought help from medical professionals. Some who had been in the very depths of despair returned to balanced life and contentment.

I appreciate that Justice Gascon released a statement explaining what had transpired that day. This is  Mental Health Month and his courage reminds us that no matter who we are or what we achieve we are subject to pressures in life which can be overwhelming. We can seek support and speak honestly about the challenges we face. Communities of faith can be instrumental in doing so, although sadly this isn't always the case.

Here is a portion of Justice Gascon's statement:


For over 20 years, I have been dealing with a sometimes insidious illness: depression and anxiety disorders, This is an illness that can be treated and controlled, some days better than others. On the afternoon of Wednesday, May 8, affected both by the recent announcement of a difficult and heart-rending career decision, and by a change in medication, I conducted myself in an unprecedented and unaccustomed manner by going out without warning and remaining out of touch for several hours. I can neither explain nor justify what I understand to have been a panic attack, and I wish to apologize most profusely to all those who suffered as a result.”

 Although I know that I cannot erase what happened, I wish to put it behind me and look ahead. I have learned important lessons from it and will continue to do so over time, and with the necessary patience and assistance on which I know I can count. 

It's gratifying to hear that Gascon has received strong support from colleagues since this incident. Did you hear about this? What did you think? Any other comments or observations? 

 Image result for mental health month 2019

 

No comments: