Saturday, May 18, 2019

Whose Womb Is it?

Image result for alabama abortion law

I haven't blogged much about abortion through the years, nor did I ever preach on the subject -- not even once. That doesn't mean that it wasn't a meaningful topic for discussion and in fact I did so on a number of occasions with members of my congregations. In some instances it was with those who were contemplating an abortion, and in one circumstance it was a woman who had an abortion and was wracked with guilty afterward, convinced that it had been an irresponsible choice based on convenience. I always attempted to be non-judgmental and supportive in the decision-making process and prayed with these individuals. I also had members who were former Roman Catholics and bewildered that this was virtually the only taboo topic in the United Church.

This is a tough subject for me because I have strong convictions about the sanctity of life. As an undergraduate student I took an ethics course with a wise professor who noted that humans are most vulnerable at the beginning and end of life and saw it as a moral and ethical and, I think, sacred responsibility for society to care for the vulnerable. I've never understand the hard and fast rules individuals and cultures establish about when life begins. I've mourned with couples who are devastated by the death - I use the word death -- of fetuses they considered children, even though they were still within the legal parameters for abortion.

Image result for alabama abortion law

All this noted, I am appalled by what it happening in the United States as legislatures, usually comprised of powerful, aging men are passing punitive and restrictive laws around abortion. Alabama has passed legislation which all but makes abortion illegal and could punish women with lengthy prison terms, even in situations of rape and incest, including minors.

In the debate sanctimonious men waxed on about the preciousness of the life God had created. Meanwhile, Alabama has the highest rate of infant mortality in the United States and a high rate of maternal mortality.  Pro-life in many states appears to be pro-birth, with little regard for the safety of children and women. The day after the governor (a woman) signed this legislation into law an inmate was subjected to the death penalty. Again, pro-life seems to be pro-birth.

One woman legislator who had the courage to oppose this legislation challenged the men saying "now you're in my womb, and I want you out" - great line.  She wondered if they would propose a "castration bill" for the men who sexually assaulted women.

This situation is bizarre, yet not surprising given that the president makes up stories about women sitting with doctors planning infanticide. These are terrible lies, yet Trump's "base" which includes many evangelical Christians swallows them whole.

Here in Canada the number of abortions has declined steadily with the provision of freedom of choice, access to birth control, and clear sex ed in schools. However we might feel about the sanctity of life, we can't impose our values on those who will give birth to children and be entrusted with their care.

Perhaps this is the time to enter into honest conversation about abortion in this country, especially as Conservative governments are being elected in provinces and MPP's and MLA's (yup, men) are emboldened to publicly oppose freedom of choice.

What do you think, dear readers? Could this happen here?

3 comments:

Judy said...

Oh yes, it could well happen here ... whoever would have thought that Doug Ford would be the premier of Ontario, after we saw his family inaction in the City of Toronto? Conservatives who are in support of keeping the rich in their wealthy lifestyles will make whatever changes will get them into power - and then do more damage to "the people". (And it seems conservative men love to be in control of women)

kb said...


The United Church has a written position on the issue, or at least they used to. I can't locate it on the website.

Kathy B.

Madonaldo said...

Why are everyone looking for ways online to get help solving their pregnancy and infertility problems when most of every native American is talking online about the help of Dr Mandaker Alamun. I checked him out when my husband who could not get me pregnant for over 9 years of marriage as a result of low sperm count became fertile and now, I am 5 months pregnant and it is this man known as Dr Mandaker who helped my husband solve his problem. My name is Alecia Maldonado from CA USA. I would advise anyone and everyone who needs the help of any spell caster in love marriage,finance, job promotion,lottery spell,poker spell,golf spell,Law & Court case Spells,money spell,weigh loss spell,diabetic spell,hypertensive spell,high cholesterol spell,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need spiritual marriage separation),good Luck, Money Spells,it's all he does or looking for breakthrough in your political career to meet this Dr Mandaker the link to his website copy this link (witch-doctor.page4.me) for He is a Reliable and trustworthy. I and my husband have gone to different hospitals having the thinking that I was at fault for not getting pregnant. But at the Federal hospital, they examined him too and his sperm count was low and unable to get a woman pregnant as a result of male infertility. It was then I sort out,thanks to Dr Mandaker.