Monday, September 12, 2022

Gift of a Lifetime?


This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 

John 15: 12-13

 Last evening I received a request to read scripture at the wedding of a lovely young couple. I've known the groom for nearly twenty years, beginning when he was just a sprout in one of the congregations I served. We had an exchange about which gospel passage to include and I am intrigued that they're leaning to the True Vine section in chapter 15 which includes the verses above which are about self-giving love. Jesus is speaking to his disciples on the eve of his death during the Last Supper

It happens that earlier in the day we attended the belated retirement party, an outdoor potluck lunch, for the Rev. Vicki Fulcher. Vicki was the pastoral care minister at Bridge St. United Church during the years I was there and she served the congregation with compassion and commitment. She retired after a diagnosis of life-threatening blood cancer. I had the privilege of paying tribute to Vicki during the gathering, along with another former lead minister, and then she spoke.

Vicki was eloquent as she spoke to folk who were still seated at the tables, and in her remarks she thanked the anonymous bone marrow donor who saved her life. Without this unknown young man she wouldn't have survived and it was meaningful that she expressed her gratitude for such a selfless act. The donor didn't "lay down one's life for one's friends" but this gift was life-altering for the recipient.  

As it happens, I was leafing through the most recent issue of Broadview Magazine this morning, the publication of the United Church and came across an article titled Gift of a Lifetime about a woman who donated a kidney to a stranger. I'm fairly sure I would donate a kidney to a loved one, or my bone marrow, but a stranger? I have signed the organ donor portion of my driver's license but, well, I wouldn't be aware if those transplants had taken place!

Several years ago the guest speaker at the annual ecumenical outdoor service in one community was a priest who had donated a kidney, part of his liver, and bone marrow to unknown recipients, and if I recall correctly the passage from John was the one he chose. I'll admit we joked that we better invite him while he still had some organs left.

It's all "cause for pause" and assessment, don't you think? 


                                                            The Last Supper -- Jen Norton 


2 comments:

Judy said...

It was so good to have you and Ruth, and Bill and Sharon, at the retirement gathering for Vicki. She has been a wonderful gift to Bridge Street Church, in many ways, and we are all so happy she received the donation that saved her life and has made her well again. (it is also great to be able to continue learning from you, as we read your daily reflections here on your blog, David.)

David Mundy said...

I know that you were very involved in facilitating this shindig, Judy. Well done!