Monday, November 27, 2023

Does Christ Reign in our Hearts?

 

Homeless encampment outside Saint Stephen-in-the-Fields Anglican Church in Toronto dismantled last week

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left.

 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 

Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.

Matthew 25: 31-40 NRSVue

Who is Jesus to you? Yesterday was Reign of Christ Sunday, the final Sunday before the beginning of Advent and a new liturgical year. It was formerly Christ the King in the United Church but Reign of Christ sounds a little less patriarchal. The bigger question is how Christ reigns in our hearts and minds. How does the "Suffering Servant" jibe with the perception of Jesus as our monarch?

You may have heard the passage from Matthew 25 yesterday, one I notice many conservative Christians choose to ignore or explain away, although this might be said of a lot of us at times, myself included. Is being a Christian a matter of supremacy or servanthood? In whom do we see the Living Christ? 

A couple of Saturday mornings ago we delivered the bread products generously donated by Cobs Bakery to Bridge St. Church. There is an extensive outreach program for those who live on the margins run out of the building and Ruth is a Monday volunteer in the daily meal program. As we left she recognized a woman who comes in for a lunch and asked her how her day was beginning. "Not good", she said, and Ruth asked what was happening. This woman sleeps rough and she admitted that she had peed herself (her phrase) during the night. Ruth could sense her despondency and humiliation so took a few moments in conversation. 

When we got into our vehicle my stalwart wife was moved by compassion and fought back her tears. No one should have to live this way, and I feel that Ruth heard and saw this person, that she saw Christ in someone who is invisible to most of us. 

We are living in a time when food insecurity is on the rise and homelessness is an epidemic. Mental illness and addiction are part of the grim picture.The demand on food banks and meal ministries is unprecedented.   In this community there is a growing number of tent encampments, which is the reality right across the country. 

Who is Jesus, the Christ, for us today? Will he reign in our hearts in ways which move us to compassion as individuals and communities? 

May the Christ who walks on wounded feet

walk with you on the road.

May the Christ who serves with wounded hands

stretch out your hands to serve.

May the Christ who loves with a wounded heart

open your hearts to love.

May you see the face of Christ in everyone you meet,

and may everyone you meet

see the face of Christ in you.



                                                         Homeless Jesus -- Timothy Schmalz

2 comments:

Judy said...

There are empty schools and empty lots all over our city, which could be used for shelter or tent encampments for homeless people. I have written letters to the City, and been "forwarded" to another source, who give no response. It is disheartening to know that it takes such a long time to provide simple shelter for folk.

David Mundy said...

I am a veteran of many a brush-off and/or the silent treatment myself, Judy.Sometimes it seems that empowering civil engagement is not always welcome. Bless you for being determined and keep the faith!