Thursday, June 14, 2007

Every Kindness a Prayer

I just spoke with a woman who is not a member of St. Paul's but whose elderly father is. He has been in hospital for weeks and may never leave. She is attending his needs as well as supporting her ailing husband as he undergoes radiation.

I often wonder how people manage to carry on when they have so much to deal with. When I phoned this woman to enquire about medical developments with her Dad (he is too frail and confused to tell me during our visits) I encourage her as best I can.

Today she told me that her prayers and the prayers of others are important. And she mentioned how much strength she takes from the cards and letters she receives from friends. It seems to me that these messages are a form of prayer. We don't always consider them to be prayers, but think of the letters from the apostle Paul to congregations across Asia Minor. So often the messages are deeply personal and from the heart. A good reminder.

1 comment:

Lynnof60 said...

Some would call those cards and messages an "answer to prayer"...in fact I think I did!