Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Weighty Matters

June is a caloric-intake nightmare! Just about every group I am involved with has a special gathering involving food during this month. I am eating with:

the St. Paul's newcomers and board
the ministerial
the clergy lectionary group
the day-time bible study group
the St. Paul's staff
the choir.

I have begged off a couple of other meals which I'm sure would have been pleasant. Ministers are never thrilled with the notion that activities are "over" for the summer, but life does quiet down. It is important to mark the transitions of our life, including the life in faith, so why not do so over a meal?

Jesus got in trouble because he enjoyed parties and eating with those who were considered spiritually and culturally questionable. I'm glad that he provided this example of conviviality.

I would muse about this some more, but I have to get to the next potluck.

No comments: