Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Joy of Baptism

In a few minutes I will go into the St. Paul's sanctuary and sit with my wife, Ruth. It is the Sunday School service and the only responsibility I have is to baptize a seven-year-old boy who found out that he hadn't been baptised and asked for this sacrament.

The first six months of 2007 has seen a "run" on baptisms in our congregation. This is the fifteenth, the most I have ever done in half a year. Last year we went through a similar period with none, although there are always a fair number here because of the profile of our church family. This year we have baptized infants and older children and adults. Since I came to St. Paul's I have baptized at least six adults, maybe more. For me it is such a positve statement to the congregation as a whole. We all come to Christ in various ways through a lifetime, some quiet and internal, others public and declarative. Some happen before we can understand the meaning and others as a conscious choice of faith.

We need that interior experience and that public profession. I look forward to today's "holy moment."

1 comment:

Nancy said...

The child who was Baptized relies heavily on his church family for support and encouragement. Through Baptism the church family proclaimed their support and witnessed the sacrament. A holy moment it was.