Friday, June 15, 2007

Fathers --We Need You!

This photo is from Life magazine, circa 1959. It appears to be a father, laying down the law for a passle of kids before heading off to church. I remember similar marching orders from my Old Man on Sundays. He was the minister and could keep a watch on my behaviour and that of my brother from the vantage point of the pulpit. We were often found wanting!

These baby boom children may be grandparents by now and our culture has changed. The number of people who go to church has dropped by more than fifty percent since then, and men are scarcer in congregational life.

We need the involvement of men and fathers in church life. This congregation is fortunate to have a significant number of involved Dad's. Some of them teach Sunday School. I'm impressed by their commitment. I had lunch with a young father from St. Paul's last week and I can tell he wants to do his best with his children in every area of life, including Christian faith. Still men are outnumbered by women and fathers are more likely to be ferrying children to sports events on Sunday than to worship.

To all the involved, faithful fathers and grandfathers -- thank you. You are absolutely essential to our health and well-being as a family of faith.

Have a wonderful Father's Day. I hope I see you in church.

No comments: