Sunday, June 10, 2012

Gathered and Scattered

We had our last Gathering Place community meal until the Fall this past Friday evening. It was fun, with two Lions (Steve and Jim) cheerfully and sweatily barbecuing up a storm for our guests. There was a fifties/early sixties theme with checkered table cloth, soda counter serving up coke and root beer floats, and music from the era. Everyone was getting a kick out of the setting. What a great kitchen and hall staff we have.

Once again I was aware of the community-building going on. One regular showed me the sheet from the hospital giving him details on an upcoming medical test. He is nervous and I did my best to reassure him. A dad who comes all the time with his two young daughters let me know that he is going back to school in September and probably won't be able to attend anymore. At our table we talked about the sudden death of another regular, Rob. Rob looked like a cross between a human and a Wookie but he had a very gentle manner. His death at 51 shook us all. I prayed with the anxious woman who asks me to pray with her personally virtually every meal (you didn't pray with me last time David!) and I celebrated with the woman who told me with a big grin that she has lost 100 pounds and is getting her life back. They have been a deep blessing to me in ways I could not have anticipated.

I realize that these are folk who need to be known, to have the assurance that their lives matter, to have a pastor. I am grateful for the other pastors who come for most meals and chat with our guests, as well as the other table hosts who get to know their little flock.

We will keep feeding them, in body and spirit.

Comments?

3 comments:

IanD said...

I'm on call, whenever you're short a musician!

Nancy said...

I'm sure they enjoyed the BBQ, not something they are likely to get on a regular basis, and nothing says summer, like a great BBQ!. Thank you to the many who work putting this together, it is no small task!!

Laura said...

It is so important to hear the stories of these people and their lives and to realize in those stories that we are more alike than different.
The Gathering team is to be commmended. The attention to small details like centre pieces and themes and dinner music made each Gathering a celebration andthese folks would not likely have many opportunities to be celebrated.
Hearing of Robert's passing made me think of a number of neighbours from local group homes that become a part of our lives as we pass and say hello on the street, and then one day I miss them and realize we haven't seen them in a while and wonder but never know what has happened to them. I will miss Robert's
smile around town.