Saturday, June 02, 2012

Making Melody in Your Hearts

I'm fascinated by reports of the discovery of ancient musical instruments which keep pushing back the date at which humans made music. The flutes in the photo above were created between 43 and 44 thousand years ago and were found in a cave in Southern Germany. The BBC article says:
Musical instruments may have been used in recreation or for religious ritual,
experts say.
And some researchers have argued that music may have been one of a suite of
behaviours displayed by our species which helped give them an edge over the
Neanderthals - who went extinct in most parts of Europe 30,000 years ago.
Music could have played a role in the maintenance of larger social networks,
which may have helped our species expand their territory at the expense of the
more conservative Neanderthals.
Of course we employ music and musical instruments for religious purposes including connecting us socially within our worship. Music as praise also lifts us above ourselves into the presence of the God of life.
Joining together in making music is on the wane in our culture. When families say they want hymns at funerals now I ask them to picture who will be there and whether "it will a singing crowd." I asked this question of a family this week and they decided the hymns would be played but not sung. It's sad really, because we are transformed by musical expression, it seems to me.
Watch this remarkable video to see the effects of music on the elderly.
What does music do for you? Is it a form of religious expression? To the readers who are musicans but never comment: "don't make me come down there!"

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Music calms me, makes me happy, makes me sad, and brings out all other sorts of emotions. I wouldn't live without it. Music can express so many things. I had seen the video you posted before, and thought, "wow! I then remembered this video of a 90 year old couple in a clinic - I am in awe of the love they still show for life, music and one another!! Check it out, it will make you smile! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGWpIGP5NM

IanD said...

I was born and raised on the stuff, and it's a part of almost every hour of every day.

I consider myself one of those musical Neanderthals you mentioned.

As for church music, I remember writing a paper back in undergrad about how initially, in the Middle Ages, church music was frowned upon by the establishment because they feared it would take the congregants' attention away from religious meditation and distract them. Eventually they caved and allowed things like plainsong and the motet to enter into worship, but then they had a hard time when anything polyphonic came up! Nuts.

St. Paul's has such a great, diverse musical culture, and from the choir to the praise band, junior choir and elder Neanderthal on the organ bench, we're really lucky to have so many people musically involved.