Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Defeat

Wasn't it ABC's Wide World of Sports which invited us to experience "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" for several decades?

That motto certainly held true for Canadian athletes and those from many other countries during the Olympics. Years are spent preparing and qualifying for the honour of being an Olympic athlete. For many the dreams come crashing down, literally and figuratively in a matter of moments. For every medal awarded, how many compete and fail to reach the podium. Yet for all of them it is worth the effort and sacrifice required to reach his level of competition.

We didn't see much Olympic coverage this year but we did catch the men's 4x100 relay. It was an exciting race and, lo and behold, the Canadian foursome captured the bronze medal. Such celebrating on their part and vicarious rejoicing on ours. Then it was gone because of one misplaced step which couldn't possibly have changed the outcome of the race. We all agonized with Jared Connaughton, the nice young guy from PEI whose misstep caused the disqualification. I wanted to yell at him not to apologize, in the same way I felt it was unnecessary for Paula Findlay to say she was sorry after finishing last in the triathalon. Don't get me wrong, medals are great and I'm proud of everyone who comes home with one. I just hate to see these exceptional young people suffer for finishing fourth or having an off day or stepping on a line. It moves me just seeing the photo of Findlay gamely finishing her event in tears.



There are several "racey" New Testament verses including the words "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." Notice that it doesn't say "I have won the race" but rather finished it? Everyone experiences disappointment and unfairness in life, it seems to me, but that doesn't mean we are defeated.

Can you still cheer for "defeated" athletes or do "nice guys/gals finish last."? Do you handle defeat with grace? Has God helped you get back on your feet again after one of life's face plants?

2 comments:

sjd said...

When you can honestly say "I left it all on the field",or "I did my best" Be proud of the fact that you did. Learn from those who beat you,and put that knowledge to work for the next time.

IanD said...

Ted Kennedy paraphrased those lines on his death bed, apparently.