Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Fauna



I enjoyed reading Alissa York's novel Fauna, which I borrowed from the library. I hadn't heard anything about it but I picked it off the shelf and was intrigued by the story of several people who live in and around the Don Valley in Toronto. Their lives intersect in interesting ways and all of them have relationships with animals, domestic and wild.

I like the way York develops the characters who in their own respects are everything from wary, to strays, to feral. In the end we are reminded that humans and other creatures aren't as different as we might think.

York has considerable powers of description and I did some thinking about the people I have met in ministry who border on feral themselves, living close to Christian community but  a little skittish about coming too close. Sometimes I think I should avoid any quick movement or risk scaring therm away.

Has anyone else read Fauna? Are you curious?

6 comments:

roger said...

Although I'm normally a non-fiction reader, Fauna does sound interesting. Maybe I'll just read it for the "fauna" of it.

IanD said...

Pretty sure the old man is feral.

Nan said...

I haven't yet read the book, but I have been reading about it. For the past three years, Durham region has partnered with Clarington to present "Pass the Book". This program picks a book and encourages everyone across the Durham region to read the same book. This year's selection is Fauna. You can read more about it at www.passthebook.ca. Also, the Reader's Circle at Bowmanville Library, will be discussing this book on Sep.20 at 7:00pm.

Nancy said...

The owner of "Blue Heron Books" always does a book talk for Durham teacher-librarians in June, a sort of adult summer reading list. This book was on her list, but I have yet to read it.

Laura said...

My book club has been reading a list of Canadian current reads...and as many of us are now nearing the end of that Evergreen list, "Fauna" was suggested next because of the "Pass the Book" program, of which Nan speaks.The first reader in our group to get to "Fauna" struggled with it and gave up....so I'll take your encouragement to still give it a whirl. It is interesting as we have all read through this list of nominated books in varying orders and speeds, and how some can't get through the first few chapters of one of the books, and others will vote that same book as their favourite. One of the best parts of summer though for sure...a good book and fresh air.

David Mundy said...

Thanks all. One of the librarians told me that several people hadn't liked it, so it is a matter of taste. Bad pun Roger' bad pun!