Monday, August 13, 2012

Through the Doors


There were lots of positives in the first worship service of my return from vacation and continuing education. The hall was full and we ran out of bulletins. Neighbours from Trinity joined us -- always good. There were at least 15 children and one of them is looking forward to going back to school! There was was good lay leadership and announcements about summer activities.
All this was great, but I was so pleased that several of the folk from Clarington Connections and The Gathering Place dinner were in worship. Sometimes I wonder how we can bridge the gap between Friday evenings and Sunday mornings. We know that many of our meal guests are people of faith, but do we make them feel welcome? I wonder if worshipping in the same place we eat helps in that regard. The surroundings are familiar. It's easy to forget that walking into a church sanctuary can be daunting and the hall is a little less imposing.
Have you ever experienced nervousness about entering a church you don't know? Were you made welcome? Do you think we're making an effort to make Gathering Place guests feel at home? And everyone else as well?

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Have often felt like that photo. Even in a church where you know people, it is hard to go up to someone and start talking. I have often thought that U.C. churches have their "cliques" and it is very hard to get into. Many people give up and go else where or don't go anywhere. Sad.

Nan said...

We are at St. Paul's today because of how we were so graciously welcomed when we first moved to town. Hopefully others coming new into our congregation feel the same welcome.

Laura said...

Chatted with a couple of new folks on Sunday, and a neighbour from Clarington Connection.

I will say as we moved around as kids, and then on my own, and with my own family, I have learned that whether it be church, or any other organization that I have to take some of the risk towards deeper connections, and in some places it is truly easier than others.

I have found that sitting in a pew on Sunday morning or standing at the fence in a new school community or at the very back of a first time meeting, people will say hello and smile but it has been when I convinced myself to take a bigger step "in", by joining a smaller committee or club of that organization that I begin to feel the connections, and have even found often that those "cliques" were just my own perception from a distance.

That being said, I know it is easier for some than others to take that further step in, so for those that have found that reward of deep connection, we have to keep working at creating and inviting newcomers into smaller , more connected, intimate times in our shared life.

Sarah said...

I am new to St. Paul's and new to the Christian community. I have felt very welcome and this Sunday when Laura remembered my name downstairs, it made my heart swell. I still rush out at the end of service, mainly to get home to my son. However I have always been a bit awkward at small talk!

David Mundy said...

Thanks for all these perspectives. We know that congregations including ours can always do better. It is the reality of community of life that we fall short of the mark at times, despite our best intentions.

I'm glad you added your voice to the conversation Sarah. You are the newcomer of the respondents. It took courage for you to bring your girls to Junior Choir "cold" and it has been remarkable to see how quickly and enthusiastically they have become involved. When I saw their open little faces at the front on Sunday it was a delight. Well done!