Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Returning to the Patterns of Daily Living

 

 

                                                              Squid Jigger Trail, Change Islands

Bless you for your patience! 

Regular Lion Lamb blog readers will know that I haven't posted in ten days. Some of you commented thoughtfully about blog entries and I didn't respond. We have been away for two weeks in Newfoundland, a province we visit often because we grew to love the area where I began my ministry in the United Church 44 years ago and where a diminishing number of friends still live. Once again, most of our time was spent on Change Islands, adjacent to Fogo Island.

We had wonderful weather, the erratic ferries were on time, and we rambled about 110 kilometres. We've declared this to be fairly good for old-timers. On all these walks, save the final day, we saw a grand total of one other person. We did see otters and bald eagles and plenty of other seas birds. We even swam in the ocean, as we did last year -- the Labrador Sea, no less.

We also engaged in the old-school pastime of reading...books...the paper ones that you hold in your hands. I hauled along a book bag and we strategically chose novels we could both enjoy. I took along a Good Book and explored the daily lectionary readings, and more. I've mentioned before that I've grown rusty with my "bible drill" over the years, the ability to easily move about in the Judeo/Christian scriptures. It's so much simpler to do an internet search for a passage or call up the daily readings. It was worthwhile to get reacquainted with chapter and verse. 

I found -- we both did -- that the relative difficulty of making an internet connection and no TV were blessings rather than curses. We figure we even slept better. 

I'll say more along the way, including describing the pleasure of seeing the Come From Away musical in Gander, where the story unfolded.  

I look forward to hearing from you in the days ahead as I get back into the patterns of daily life, including this Lion Lamb blog. 








3 comments:

roger said...

Welcome back, David - sounds like you had a good time. Very different from our holiday in Italy in May, in which there were times we got caught in some major crowds. I had to really, really resist throwing an elbow at a few individuals. Our highlight was in Cinque Terre where it was much more quiet and peaceful, although not on the level of your walks!

As much as I feel addicted, at times, to my devices, on those occasions where we do not have access to internet, it's a refreshing change and like you I didn't miss it.

Judy said...

Welcome back, David !

David Mundy said...

I see that in some towns in Spain locals are using squirt guns on visitors because of the crowding -- not generally a sign of welcome in any country.We had similar circumstances of solitude while on Haida Gwaii. Go Canadian islands! Thanks for the welcomes back.