Sunday, August 23, 2026

Created in God's Image


I know next to nothing about Ariana Grande other than that she's famous. I suppose I am aware that she is a hugely popular singer and has been on a world tour. And that the Grammy winner was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in the highly successful musical film Wicked. Olay, I'm aware of a bit about her.

I have also seen recent photos of Ariana and thought that she seemed to be shrinking, physically, and appeared almost translucent in her frailty. It turns out that a lot of people have been aware of this and the speculation about her physical and mental health has been huge and intrusive.. 

Now we've been told that Grande will halt her tour and take time away from the public eye, something she says has been in the works for a while. According to a statement: 

Ariana will be taking a step back from visibility after she completes the Eternal Sunshine Tour. She looks forward to finishing the tour and ending it on a high note, both healthily and happily, and then taking a much-deserved break from public-facing work and appearances which has led to endless, ongoing public scrutiny. 

This is the curse that goes with the blessing of fame, isn't it, especially for women? Gain weight and the shamers are on it. Become waif-like and social media lights up. There are performers who decide that they will not be bullied by expectations and are applauded and even idolized. Then they go on the latest weight loss regime and are condemned as sell-outs. 

Mere mortals go through this as well in a culture that is obsessed by body image. We aren't allowed to be satisfied with who we are whether we're young or not so young. There was a piece in the Globe and Mail this past weekend featuring half a dozen women and men who spend thousands of dollars every year to look younger than they are. This, apparently, is newsworthy. 

During my ministry there were members who became physically and mentally unhealthy because of body dysmorphia. One lovely teen developed what was called sports anorexia at that time, running incessantly and losing an alarming amount of weight. There were others who became virtual recluses because of obesity. 

I figure that it's a good plan to be healthy, eating good food and and staying active.  I wonder if there is a greater role for the Christian community to address these issues, affirming that we are all made in the image of God and that we are loved and accepted in our differences? The Seventh Day Adventists are a conservative Christian group who strongly encourage vegetarianism and a healthy lifestyle. I'm not sure that the fare at most United Church meals would be regarded as heart-healthy, but maybe we could learn.

Meanwhile, we can wish Ariana Grande well.  

No comments: