Tuesday, August 18, 2026

The Gospel of Trees

 

The word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Jeremiah, what do you see?” And I said, “I see a branch of an almond tree.” Then the Lord said to me, “You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to perform it.” 


Jeremiah 1: 11-12 NRSVue 

Overview of The Gospel of Trees

What is it about trees? These creatures, so vital to our survival, have followed human beings since we first sprung from this earth. The Gospel of Trees is an essay about a wooded landscape where all sorts of limbs move around, a landscape that is at once well-known and wondrous. Church historian Thomas Arentzen wanders through forests, reads poetry, climbs trees, explores leaves of scripture, and revisits the boughs of his own Norwegian childhood. In this learned but also personal journey through history, he meets beings drawn to trees and trees in prayer for other beings. The understory of the book asks, "What is the religion of the more-than-human?"


A few years ago I made the difficult decision to cease posting on my Groundling blog and to continue solely with Lion Lamb. I just couldn't keep up with writing two posts on a regular basis even though I have a passion, even an evangelical zeal, for Creation and Creator. Of course, if you are a longer term reader you'll know that many of my posts reflect who we are as "groundlings" the adamahs" formed of the soil, called to celebrate the goodness of Creation and the joy of following an earthy Jesus.

I am drawn to the book by church historian Thomas Arentzen, pictured above, but I have so many not yet explored already. I love the overview of its contents and perhaps I'll have to be content with the way it has stimulated my imagination once again. In this dystopian age when vast areas of forest are consumed by fire around the planet we may need this discussion more than ever. 

I was able to read a sample of the book online and I appreciate Arentzen's reminder that the word origin for the English words "tree" and "true" and "troth" are the same, meaning faithful. I had never noticed before  that the prophet Jeremiah's first vision is tree related, a pun because the word almond means vigilant. 



Once again I'll note that trees are mentioned more often than any other creature in the bible, other than humans. If scripture and the Creator have a heart for trees, surely we can as well. I'm taking that as gospel. Of course, the Tree of Life is a powerful symbol in different religions. 

I suppose I can be vigilant in reading the trees around me as best I can and treat them with faith-full respect. 

“Rejoice, tree of leafy branches,
under which believers are sheltered …
Rejoice, O wood most blessed!”

Akathist to the Cross, Oikos 7

 

No comments: