Saturday, August 15, 2026

Waiting for the Way of the Wind


Film-maker Terrence Malik is known for creating thoughtful, challenging dramas such as The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life. Malik's A Hidden Life tells the story of Franz Jagerstatter, an Austrian farmer and devout Catholic who refused to fight for the Nazis in World War II. 

Now we are waiting for The Way of the Wind which explores the life of Jesus through several parables rather than miracles or other supernatural occurrences. There will be a subplot of Jesus cautioning impetuous disciple from getting caught up in the political fight against the Roman occupation. 

I see that Mark Rylance, one of my favourite actors, plays Satan who gets plenty of screen time. In some scenes he has more dialogue than Jesus. In an interview Rylance speaks about his experience as the Prince of Darkness: 

There I stood, as Satan, with 28 pages of monologue running through my mind, while Jesus barely uttered a word. Most of the time, I accompanied Jesus as Satan; it’s not the situation for extensive discussions. During filming, there’s no time for rehearsals, so it’s not the moment for lengthy conversations. It’s akin to a boxer focusing solely on stepping into the ring. 

The scope of the film fascinates me because Jesus flicks tend to be disappointing. And I'm not holding my breath regarding its release. Filming concluded in 2019 but Malik, now 82,  is devilishly slow with post-production. Next year, perhaps? 


                                                        Mark Rylance looking non-Satanic 

No comments: