Saturday, October 17, 2009

Choosing Fun Over Drudgery


I mentioned that a group of ministry colleagues has been getting together to look at the book I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church! The author, Paul Nixon, works through his six principles for church vitality:

Choosing Life Over Death
Choosing Community Over Isolation
Choosing Fun Over Drudgery
Choosing Bold Over Mild
Choosing Frontier Over Fortress
Choosing Now Rather Than Later

I highlighted the third principle because this evening St. Paul's is choosing fun over drudgery. At the latest tally about 160 people will gather at a nearby hall for a catered dinner with a great menu. Then more than 200 people with find their way into the church for a reunion of the St. Paul's Players, a drama group from "days of yore" who have been getting their synapses back in gear to entertain the congregation.

These are not fun times for many congregations. With shrinking, aging membership there is a lot of fretting, and hand-wringing and a sense that the faith community is a bottomless pit of work. It's harder to celebrate the abundant life Christ brings and the joy which comes from being with others.

Kudos to the organizing committee that has worked so hard to bring today's events and others into being during our 175th anniversary. We may call you God's Fun Brigade.
Oh yes, don't miss tomorrow's worship!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Let the party begin! Having not been at St. Paul's for as long as my husband and his family, I never saw the St. Paul's Players perform. However, having been married for 18 years, I have heard many a story. I am looking forward to the presentation this evening.

Susan said...

I remember attending many of the St. Paul Players evenings with my parents and sister. My sister and I went last night and sat there laughing, tearing up from laughing so hard, remembering, and having a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Kudos to the committee and all the players for a wonderful evening. It was indeed a fun evening and medicine for the spirit.

David Mundy said...

It was good to have a full house and for so many people to take an enjoyable stroll down memory lane.