Friday, October 30, 2009

Practical Compassion


I had one of those heartwarming moments in ministry yesterday. Near the end of the day a couple from the congregation rang the church doorbell and I answered. They had a bag of food items for the Salvation Army Food Bank, which the St. Paul's congregation supports. On Sunday I mentioned that while our goal for each month in our 175th anniversary year is 175 food items, it looked at though we could double that to the 350 mark if folk brought in another 90 items in the last few days of this month. Between what was there on Sunday and contributions during the week we exceeded that number by more than twenty items. What a great group of people.

During the summer I went over to the Army food bank and was given a tour. Well-organized, clean, and even computerized to track those who have received help. Along with stocked shelves they "build" basic grocery bags, then let people customize them to suit their household's needs. I was told that the need is up considerably, a comment confirmed by the S.A. officers at a recent ministerial meeting.

Food banks are a "necessary evil" in some respects, but they are a Godsend to many people in tough times. They are such an understandable and practical way for those of us in better circumstances to reach out to our brothers and sisters in need.

Do you contribute to the food box at St. Paul's or where you live? What do you tell your kids, if you are parents? Have you ever been a client of a food bank?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to do my best to remember food for the box at the church. Every week I have something which I promptly forget to take with me. [This and my clothe grocery bags which I consistently leave in the car.]Good intentions, poor memory.

Laura said...

I was pleased to hear about the "build your own" portion of the Food Bank process...that parents are offered the dignity of offering their families, and themselves foods that they enjoy, not only for sustenance.
Having joined the monthly Friday morning food prep team at St Vincent's Kitchen I am truly amazed, almost overwhelmed, at the food that arrives as we prepare. So much arrives that bags are prepared for folks to take home with them also, as it can't all get used up at meals fast enough. Grocery stores, resaturants, private citizens turn up with pies, cakes, rolls by the dozen, mounds of salad stuff etc etc. Last week a farmer arrived with 350 lbs of spaghetti squash (an over abundant harvest, he said) that the organizer graciously accepted, and then planned how to to turn it into meals in the weeks ahead.
As a family we have tried to be more proactive in regularly bringing food donations rather than waiting for urgent pleas....

With so much worrisome news of all sorts these days thanks for reminding us a couple of times this week of perspective and goodness.

Nancy said...

We contribute the the St. Paul's food bank (when we think of it) but like others we are trying to be more consistent. I am a CBC listener and the other day they spoke about food banks and how new arrivals to Canada are making use of the food banks. The person interviewed encouraged givers to give more "ethnic" foods. An example was given that one user who was a new comer to Canada returned 29 jars of peanut butter, because he really didn't know what to do with it. This got me to thinking and so of late, I have made an effort to contribute some different items, ie balsmati rice and papadums. A few examples given by the person I heard interviewed. This is an issue perhaps more in Toronto, however I do think our area is becoming more multicultural as well. More "food" for thought. :)

David Mundy said...

Thanks for these responses. I heard the same piece, Nancy, and it hadn't occurred to me that what I think would be edible might make no sense to others.

I would agree, pupil, that much of this is habit-- a good habit. Mind you I figure that generosity in general is best as habitual behaviour. I'll bet that much of the food coming in to St. Vincent's (Laura's observation) comes from repeat sources.

I agree, Laura, that there is dignity in making choices. Those who are poor get to make precious few choices.

I should add that the S. Army officers have asked, nicely, that people not donate their junk. They get food that has been opened and expired. Why would anyone else want to eat what we shouldn't?