Sunday, October 11, 2009

Giving Thanks


What am I grateful for this Thanksgiving weekend? I am happy that two of our three children are here to participate in our family meal. I am looking forward to a worship service today at which the Mayberrys. a couple who have worked with the Canadian Food Grains Bank for more than 25 years will be with us to share the important work of this ecumenical organization.

I am grateful for the St. Paul's choir members who showed up in force to sing at a wedding yesterday. The two people who were married are into their seventies and I have spent a fair amount of time with them because both have experienced serious health problems. Circumstances were finally right for them to "get hitched" and because the groom had been a choir member I asked our gang if they would take part in the service.

Doug, our music director, had them sing The Glory of Love which is not exactly religious but it was surely appropriate

As long as there's the two of us,
we've got the world and all it's charms.
And when the world is through with us,
we've got each other's arms.

You've got to win a little,
lose a little,yes,
and always have the blues a little.

That's the story of, that's the glory of love.
That's the story of, that's the glory of love.

The initial look of recognition on the faces of the bride and groom, the big grins, the tapping toes and nodding heads told me they were thrilled. This will be memoir material without a doubt.

The gifts of the faith community come in many forms.

What are you grateful for this weekend?

5 comments:

Susan said...

That's one of my favorite songs - and I first heard it on the movie - Guess Who's Coming for Dinner - one of my favorite movies. Sounds like the wedding was a true celebration and blessing.
My blessings are like the stars in the sky - too many to count. I remember reading the suggestion a few years ago that the time between the Canadian thanksgiving and the Reign of Christ Sunday - should be the season of Thanksgiving - because we need more than one day to offer our graditude to God and to recognize the many different ways that we have been blessed - cared for and loved by family and by God.

David Mundy said...

I like the idea of a season of gratitude. Thank you for passing this on.

roger said...

So many things to be thankful for. During the one minute of reflection in each service, I go over everything I am thankful for, and I find I could use more than that minute! Immediately after that reflection, it puts me in a more positive frame of mind and somewhat minimizes the difficulties that life is throwing at me.

Stacey said...

This may sound trite or insincere, but I promise you it is neither. But I am grateful for this blog. For this connection to everything that is good that we left behind in Ontario. I read your posts and I am instantly reminded of the feelings of support our family felt in St. Paul's; in the nave on Sundays, upstairs where the boys attended preschool, or in the basement- where we were so fortunate to hold the boys' therapy. We are grateful and remind ourselves of this on more than just Thanksgiving.

David Mundy said...

I'm glad there are postive memories Stacey, and that the blog helps you feel connected. Coincidentally or providentially someone brought up your name and your blog yesterday while chatting in the church office. You aren't forgotten!