Thursday, October 08, 2009

To Whom Much is Given...


I must confess that I was a bit surprised when only reader Johnny responded to a recent blog in which I noted that Canada was number eight on a list of 144 countries included in an international peace index. I offered that the beauty and peace of this country was both gift and responsibility. I would say that the responsibility to others is even more of an imperative for people of faith.

So here comes another ranking, this time for the best country in the world in which to live. New Zealand was the most peaceable nation while Norway is the best in which to live. Of 182 countries included in the index, Canada is number four, the same as last year.

You guessed it, I will suggest again that the privilege of being Canadian invites practical, generous response to those less fortunate. There are so many passages in scripture which remind us that God loves the poor and downcast and that to follow God means exhibiting compassion.

The chorus What Does the Lord Require of You is a paraphrase of Micah 6 with the words

What does the Lord require of you?
To seek justice and love kindness,
and walk humbly with your God.

3 comments:

roger said...

Australia number 2? Have you seen what those kangaroos are doing to the golf courses out there?? Norway is number 1? I think if they played ice hockey against Zimbabwe, they would still get creamed 12-0!

Nancy said...

Having traveled a fair bit, and having visited some poor nations, I agree, we live in the best country. When travelling I am always proud to be Canadian. It is a privilege to be Canadian, however I am Canadian by birth. No doubt if I was born in a third world country I would be doing what I could to make it to a place like Canada.
As a Canadian who lives comfortably, I think it is our responsiblity to do "What the Lord requires of you". I would like to think that I do live my life seeking justice and loving kindness, albeit difficult at times.

David Mundy said...

I'm grateful that Canada has got its kangaroo infestation under control. Now for the mosquitoes...

Nancy, I do think that the opportunity to travel elswhere gives us a different perspective on our own wellbeing. Not only do we see the contrasts in wealth as you point out, we can appreciate the natural beauty of this country. We travelled to the Gaspe Peninsula as a couple this summer, then I went with my brother to Georgia, along the Atlantic seaboard. I am so grateful to live here!