Monday, October 12, 2009

Scroll Down to the Commandments


I have to smile at all the hoopla over the brief exhibition of the Ten Commandments fragment of the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Royal Ontario Museum. They are on display for roughly eighty hours to ensure that they are not damaged by light. And we are all going to race into Toronto to see a Hebrew text of a code of living that is largely ignored in our culture anyway. Don't get me wrong, I found the exhibit of the scrolls to be fascinating and we are organizing a trip to the ROM in November. It just strikes me as a bit odd that we are all supposed to be breathless over this decalogue that has largely become the Ten Suggestions for all practical purposes.

No idols? We are gaga over celebrities of the moral stature of the late Michael Jackson. No coveting? The economy won't recover unless we return to buy, buy, buy. Remember the sabbath and keep it holy? How quaint.

In addition there will be guest lecturers at the ROM on the relevance of the Commandments for our day. One of them is renowned atheist Christopher Hitchens who virulently attacks religion in all its expressions. But there isn't a rabbi in sight for the series.

Here's a thought: how about we all read the commandments in English, or whatever our first language might be, and ask ourselves how they apply to our lives in October 2009.

4 comments:

roger said...

Exactly. Hypocrisy is alive and well.

Not Alone said...

I love your opinions! Made me smile! Why not read the english version first or watch the movie! What has happened to those simple rules for living life? I too have seen the Dead Sea Scrolls and enjoyed the exhibit thoroughly. I would love to revisit the exhibit, but I think I will avoid the rush during those brief hours!

Laurie said...

I saw the Scrolls earlier this year. I also heard Christopher Hitchens and A.J. Jacobs, both were excellent. There are leaders of the Jewish faith are speaking on them as well.

David Mundy said...

In the advertising for the Ten Commandments only the "stars" are featured. Of the three showcased, not one practices a faith which honours the commandments and one is highly antagonistic. I enjoyed Jacobs' book but he cheerfully admits that he isn't an observant Jew. To me it feels like the cult of celebrity which is so prevalent in our society.

We all agree that the scrolls exhibit is well worth the time.