Thursday, August 19, 2010

And Christ My Bark Will Use



A decade ago one of the most disagreeable parishioners I have ever known said something with which I could agree. She claimed that the hymn I Feel The Winds of God by Ralph Vaughn Williams was possibly the greatest hymn ever written, and if we narrowed the category to traditional English language hymns there would be little argument on my part. It offers the wonderful metaphor of setting out to sea as the courageous beginning of the spiritual journey.

I feel the winds of God today
Today my sail I lift
Though heavy, oft with drenching spray
And torn with many a rift
If hope but light the water's crest
And Christ my bark will use
I'll seek the seas at His behest
And brave another cruise.

I've pointed out before that before the cross was a Christian symbol, the small boat was.

While we were in Newfoundland we watched a race called To There And Back, which was a 16 kilometre contest from Fogo Island to Change Islands (where we were staying) and back again.Fifteen crews of two rowers raced in traditional boats called punts or rodneys which were once used for fishing. As you can see from our photos, some of the crews were females. It was fun to stand on a wharf and cheer the contestants on. The moored boat was shot while we were on Fogo.

Our friend, Lewis, remembered an oldtimer who would row with his son roughly 40 kilometres out to the fishing ground, work for a few days from an island camp, then row home with a load of fish. They would hoist a sail to catch a breeze but often they would use "armstrong" for the entire journey.

Do you like that symbol of the boat for Christianity? The combination of our initiative (rowing) and being enlivened by the Holy Spirit (the wind in the sail) appeal to me.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Both comfort and inspiration flow through that beautiful hymn. I had thought more about the wind aspect of this analogy but the paddling portion is so apt for the work of our faith. In trying to put words to something that is truly beyond words, I agree with your disagreeable friend, this might just be the best there is.

David Mundy said...

Thanks Laura.