Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Baobab Blast!

Yesterday morning I went to the back of our church hall to take a peek at the worship time for our Vacation Bible School. St. Paul's has been running a VBS for eons and in a way bucking the trend of childless United Churches. The past three years we have been collaborating with St. John's Anglican, another downtown congregation, and it has been a very worthwhile joint effort.

Despite Rev. Cathy's departure a strong team of leaders and planners from both congregations have put this year's VBS, called Baobab Blast, together. I know that the baobab is a species of tree but I must admit that's about the extent of my knowledge. On the first day there were about 60 leaders, helpers, and young participants on hand. I think this is really encouraging and we can pray that these children deepen in faith as a result of their time here.

Do you have memories of VBS from your younger days? I'm ancient enough to remember getting stars for attendance and rewards for memorizing scripture verses. Do some of you have children involved in recent VBSs? Actually several readers are part of this year's leadership team. Any comments or observations from you?

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm pleased to see the turn out. My heart is warmed when I hear what the children are saying. Today as we cleaned up an activity and I told the children it was time for the closing and home, one boy responded, "so soon, that was fast!" This tells me he's having an awesome time and is enjoying what has been planned. Congratulations to all involved.

I did not attend VBS as a child but went to a church camp. I did attend Sunday School and remember getting a pin for perfect attendance, each year another link was added. I still have that pin, with the many links.

Laura said...

It's always a highlight of my summer.

A memory that sticks with me as a leader is of a young girl who I didn't know drawing a picture of something she was thankful for and telling me it was of her Mom, who had gone to live with Jesus, and it was okay because Jesus was taking care of her now. Such faith for one so young. We leaders can sure learn from these kids, too.

At my Dad's we still serve bread from a basket I made a few decades back at VBS in London On.

David Mundy said...

It's lovely that the two of you have given your time to these VBSs and appreciate the children, who can be energetic, to say the least.

It's great to see the kids having such a good time and forming friendships. One four year old burst into tears yesterday when her mother came to pick her up. That's good...isn't it?

Susan said...

I have always enjoyed and have wonderful memories of VBS as a child and as an adult. As a child, I learned from VBS, a table grace that I still use today, some wonderful catchy songs, and was given a wandering jew ivy that lived for decades. When I was 13years old,I was given a VBS class of 5/6 year olds to teach which I can't imagine doing today as a VBS co-ordinator. And as an adult, I can't imagine a more delightful, creative, and imaginative time as preparing and executing a VBS program from the gathering song through the final story, craft, game, and cooking session and final swipe of the cleaning cloth. In fact, I have missed taking part in a VBS program - hopefully next year. I have heard wonderful things about the VBS program from St. Paul's. Congrats on a job well done.

David Mundy said...

It's good to hear from you again Susan.