Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not Fun and Games


This week the Ontario government has announced that it is prepared to enter into the murky world of online gambling. Please note that I wrote gambling, not "gaming." In recent years, as governments have made a deal with the devil by generating revenue from gambling, they have conveniently changed the name. Gaming connotes fun. Gambling reminds us that there are ethical problems associated with this enterprise that governments should be resisting rather than supporting.

Yesterday I listened to a counsellor for those dealing with gambling addictions who expressed deep concern about government sanctioned wagering from the privacy and secrecy of one's home. She feels that many of her clients would be unable to resist this new temptation.

The United Church of Canada has spoken out against legalized gambling for decades and its official policy strongly discourages even buying lottery tickets, raffles and draws. When our kids were young we wouldn't let them sell tickets for school functions and would make a contribution to the cause instead. While this may sound extreme on our part, I have dealt with the families torn apart by the effects of addictive gambling and it is as severe as an substance abuse.

What is your feeling about this week's announcement? What is your personal outlook on gambling in general? Have you bought your lottery tickets for this week yet!

7 comments:

roger said...

I think you're right, David. This will be problematic for those who have an addiction to gambling. After all, would you place a fully stocked bar in the basement of an alcoholic, and then tell him/her to stay away?

Surely there must be other, healthier ways to generate revenue.

Yes, I do buy lottery tickets(in very small numbers). However, I think we can safely say the vast majority of the population go online regularly, and it is not a stretch to envision people spending hours(and their savings!) while trying to win the big one online.

Susan said...

It scares me that the government is going online with its gambling.
I remember asking a lottery clerk a month after the LottoMax replaced the Super7 if she had noticed a difference in people's spending habits ($5. vs $2.). Her observations were that people were spending the same if not more on the new lottery tickets. Yet the carrot of more money in this time of economic recession is pretty irresistible for some.
Do I play the lottery - sometimes - I buy only 1 649 ticket if I happen to become aware of the winning prize is over 10 million and normally count the money my contribution towards the hospital funds.

Lynnof60 said...

Weeellllll...truth be told, I have been known to do a little gambling in my day. Now I can justify anything but I'm sure you don't want to, or need to, be bored with that. Suffice it to say, I know my limit.
Now, if I win the LottoMax tomorrow night will the United Church take the large chunk that I would set aside for it? Interesting question I think....
pppssssttttt....that whole gambling thing? It's just between us bloggers, kay?

David Mundy said...

Well Lynn, now you have been "outed" to my thousands of attentive readers (I wish!) We still love you, and there is help...

Actually, I appreciate the candour from all three of you. You are amongst the many millions of Canadians who dabble a little in gambling for the fun of it, and as a relatively inexpensive exercise in hope.

It is the folk whose lives are deeply scarred and even destroyed by gambling who are the real concern.

Thanks.

Unknown said...

Gambling is a problem for many people. I have had first hand knowledge of a gambling addict and bringing it so close to home is a bad idea. At least with drugs and alcohol, you can keep them out of your house so the temptation is not there. For the gambler, they can avoid places to gamble. How can they live in todays hitech society and never turn on their computer again?

David Mundy said...

I think you're right Caroline, and the government should know that this is true. There is too much emphasis on generating income through gambling and not much responsibility taken for the outcome.

sjd said...

I think I'm addicted to blogging.
Gambling is a volentary tax for those of us who know our limits. It's a major cash grab for the government. On line gambling is already on the internet. They just want their cut.
Those addicted to gambling I feel for you. This won't make it any easier.