Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Awesome!

This past Sunday three of our teens, one 15 and two 16, were our "guest speakers' for our anniversary. It was actually a scripted conversation, if there can be such a thing. I gave the three of them three questions in advance and told them that they had two minutes to answer each one. We sat at the front, on four stools, and they responded to these questions on who and what has shaped their faith, what is important for them as Christians today, and what their "big dreams" for the future are.

How did they do? Well, Christopher, Kathryn, and Jonathan were AWESOME! First of all, they handled the occasion like pros, keeping on time and message, looking to the congregation, speaking clearly. Much more than that, they gave heartfelt, thoughtful responses which were powerful witnesses. There was nothing immature about how or what they offered. And many people in the congregation have admitted that they were moved to tears by what they heard from these young people.

I chose the passage from 1 Samuel about the call of the boy Samuel to get the ear's of God's people tingling again. I think that happened on Sunday.

Were you there? What was your response? Do we need to make more opportunities to hear Good News from our young people?

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I thought the young adults did an amazing job! They were mature, and spoke from the heart. I attempted to talk to each one of them and tell them so. As a parent raising a tween, I hope for my tween to be as mature and well grounded as these young people are at 16.

Lynnof60 said...

I was so impressed with these young people (and the old guy as well) Altho' you say that it was a scripted conversation it did not come across that way. I know they had their answers written down but they only used their notes to keep them on track - or at least that's the way it came across. I feel privileged to know these young people and I look forward to watching what they will bring to the world. It was so refreshing.

Deborah Laforet said...

Not only do we need more opportunities to hear the Good News from our young people, but we also need to listen to their wisdom in our decision-making.

I wish I could have been there. I'm sure the three of them have grown so much since I saw them last. What a great opportunity to hear from the youth in the church.

sjd said...

I was there. I have seen these kids grow up over the past few years, and was deeply moved by their message.
I'm happy they have opened a place in their hearts for God. It's not hard to see the spirit in them with the confidience they exhibited last Sunday.
Great job done by all involved!

David Mundy said...

Thanks everyone. Amazing, impressive, and moving. These responses sum up our young people well. It must be pleasing, Deb, to hear about young people you helped nurture in the past.

I should add that the junior choir and the four young people from Loaves and Fishes (formerly Fish for Breakfast) were great as well.