Monday, October 18, 2010

Innies and Outies


Take a look at the September/October Psychology Today for an article called Revenge of the Introvert. Some of you may have experience with the Myers Briggs Indicator, a tool which helps people establish their personality type, including extroversion and introversion. Extraverts gain energy through sociability and tend to be bored by solitude. Intraverts prefer the inner life and are renewed by reflection and solitude. This doesn't meant that extraverts don't benefit from "down time" and many intraverts are good "people persons" --just not all the time. http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201008/revenge-the-introvert

This has fascinated me, because I am an introvert according to several Myers Briggs through the years. I love people, but I have to withdraw from external stumuli at times in order to stay sane and spiritually focussed. Actually more clergy are intraverts proportionally, which makes sense because we feel that inner stirring which we describe as "call." We are in an "outie" profession, but we also need the "innie" opportunities to do our work effectively. I figure God appreciates some undivided attention.

Do you know about the Myers Briggs Indicator? Have you ever gone through the process? Make sense to you?

5 comments:

Lynnof60 said...

It makes such perfect sense to me. I have done Myers Briggs but have had more time with True Colours. The same thing just packaged differently. I had an aha moment with a colleague (she was actually my boss but 15 yrs younger than me so I prefer colleague). We were just not 'clicking'. She would call me in the morning to 'check in' and start right in with work 'stuff'. Wait! We need to check in with each other first "how was your weekend? Kids ok?" You get the picture. We were on opposite ends of the spectrum. We could laugh about it after that which was a good thing.
I think it is a great tool if done properly. As was always said "one colour is not better than any other (altho' I kind of thought blue was the best!) just different" "it takes all colours to make a rainbow"
Although it would appear that I am an extrovert as I travel on this life journey (you see that I don't want to use the "getting older" words) I find I like my alone time a lot. As long as I have my computer and cell phone. Enough said.....

sjd said...

I lean towards the introvert according to the test. I certainly say more in this blog than I do at Sunday morning coffee time.
I do think that people change gears as my best friend is certainly an extrovert, and I think I do a good job of keeping up.

Susan said...

I have taken the Myers Brigg test several times, twice I have been typed a very strong introvert and once I was smack dab in the middle of the extrovert/introvert typing. I thoroughly enjoy being around and working with people but find that being around people drains me and I need the alone time to recharge and regroup. It is interesting to note the differences between my two nieces (10 and 7 1/2). The ten year old is an introvert and wants and needs quiet time to read or veg in front of the tv. Whereas her sister, the 7 1/2 is a very strong extovert - if it is too quiet - she has to make noise - by singing or clapping - letting her world know that she is alive and available for action!

David Mundy said...

Now see, the extrovert went first, followed by the introverts!

In another congregation we brought in Myers Briggs experts to work with couples in our marriage preparation events, which they loved. The lights went on for them as well. Extroverts and introverts often complement one another in relationships, if they know what is going on.

Thanks to all fo you.

Deborah Laforet said...

I am also an introvert, but find that being alone and being lonely is very different. In my work, I tend to be on my own a lot, except on Sundays. I long to be in relationship more during the week.

I have joined a theatre groups in a neighouring community. This is really pushing my introvert side, but I am really enjoying the fun and play with people who I am really getting to know, who don't see me as "the minister."