Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Grilled Cheesus

I am not Gleeful. Let me put this another way; I am not a Gleek. I don't watch the hit television show Glee which is short on plot and long on thematic warbling and celebrity appearances.

However, last Tuesday evening I came in from a study group for the last few minutes of an episode of Glee called Grilled Cheesus. It seems that high school football stud Finn has seen the image of Jesus in a late night hunger-busting grilled cheese sandwich. It becomes a personal object of devotion with the hope that it will catapult him to athletic prowess. Meanwhile atheist Kurt's dad suffers a life-threatening heart attack. Where to turn when you don't believe in God?

Why to song of course! Thanks to the availablity of just about everything online these days I was able to take a look at the highlights of the episode. It was a surprisingly mature exploration of the subject, for a primetime show which is really about show tunes. http://www.globaltv.com/glee/video/full+episodes/grilled+cheesus/video.html?v=YY4RiQjUXyYC_jSHi_iDnjJSc_b2F_ZB#glee/video/full+episodes

As irreverent as this all may sound, there are people who have revelatory moments in the strangest places. While we lived in Nova Scotia we stopped at a Tim Horton's in Cape Breton which turned out to be something of a shrine because someone interpreted a stain on the wall as an image of the BVM (Blessed Virgin Mary.) No she didn't have a double-double and a cruller in her hands.

Religion can be odd, and downright dangerous, but both its presence and absence can have a huge impact on individuals, congregations, even countries.

Anyone see the episode? Is it just wrong for TV to broach these subjects? Have you ever experienced Jesus on a food item?

8 comments:

believing&dreaming said...

I watched that episode last week, and I have to say I am one of the biggest gleek around, loyally watching every week. I loved the episode because, it really did mesh my two favourite things together into one. Show tunes and faith. I also loved that it was a very emotional moments for all gleeks and glee fans alike that have seen what Kurt has gone through in the past and to see what he went through in that episode. I do not believe in seeing Jesus in food items is a miracle and will help you through all your troubles, but it was a very good episode in my opinion. - K

Nancy said...

I saw the end of the episode and thought it was interesting. The writers target the young who have the same questions the characters had. I thought there was a lot of food for thought.

sjd said...

I watch as often as I can. I like that it is different from all the cop shows that deal with the wrost possible crimes. ie. CSI, Criminal minds, Law and order, etc.
It's light, funny, off the wall (Sue Sylvester) It does deal with teen issues in a way that our whole family watch it together, and get something out of it.
I was impressed that the writers wern't affraid to do an eppisode based on religion. they have done a great job with issues like teen pregnancy, and all different discrimination issues. Fair play, and standing up for your rights are other issues they have done well with.
They do need to work on the whole teen sex issue though, as 2 more glee members have lost their virginity in the past 2 weeks.
I like Glee.
Do I see Jesus in food items? No. It's like ink blots, you see what you want to see, but it does make good comedy.

Lynnof60 said...

I have not seen this episode but just saw that I can get it on my laptop as I sit in our cabin on a cliff in Cape Breton. So that is what I will do tonight when the sun goes down. I am a 'gleek' for sure! I love that this show has gained in popularity. It 'usually' has a pretty good message and it is dishing up a new kind of music for kids who would not find this music palatable in the past. 'Glee' Club was a very important part of my High School years and hopefully this will bring back it's popularity.
As strange as it may seem I have not seen Jesus in or on any food items....but I will pay more attention in the future.
May I say it's also nice to see some new 'bloggers' on site!

Laura said...

Rarely does a Youth Group event go by without reference to Glee...I try and watch when I can, to keep up, although often I am on delay, and they have so moved-on by the time I've seen it.
Like sjd I grapple with the whole tv representation of teenage sex and no..I have have seen no saints in my soup, but like Lynn, perhaps just not looking hard enough.

David Mundy said...

What an interesting group of respondents, as well as the responses themselves. We begin with a thoughtful, church-going 15-year-old.

Then an educator whose daughter is a teen in waiting.

A dad of teen/tweenagers. (I know you watch lots of sports as an antidote to that Gleeky stuff sjd.)

Someone who lives to sing, and sings to express faith. (Lyyn, you probably aren't that far from the Tim's at this moment.)

Finally a mom whose daughters may well be Gleeks, and who works with teens.

We can probably all concede that TV culture influences our lives, including our values, and some shows may actual tweek our faith from time to time. Thanks all.

Laurie said...

I am the lone person here who does not watch "Glee" I do have a nice toaster print that makes toast with the print of Mary on the toast! It was a Christmas present and it has gotten lots of responses from our guests when the toast is made for breakfast.

David Mundy said...

Maybe that's where the idea came from Laurie. Have you checked to see if your toaster is still there?