Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Elephant in the Room


As we moved through Advent this year I was keenly aware of the number of people who have experienced loss in our congregation. So, on the Sunday of Joy I attempted to address the joy which can be ours in Christ even in the midst of pain and sadness.

I also did something this year for the first time. I wrote Christmas cards with notes to those who had experienced tough losses since last year. I have thought about this before, but this season my cold meant that I was restricted for a few days in visiting people, so I made good on my intentions. I was a little surprised when more than 15 cards were completed and posted. Many of the recipients had experienced the most difficult losses of their lives and others I knew were weary from care-giving. It's hard to know what to say, but I gave it my best try.

I received a response from one person who had been wonderful with her mother, providing loving palliative care at home. She thanked me for acknowledging "the elephant in the room," to use her phrase. While she didn't elaborate, I know she meant the grief many feel in a season which can be almost manically upbeat. This woman is a grandmother herself, and I know she will find hope in her grandchildren and savour their excitement for Christmas. At the same time she will deal with her loss.

Please keep all those who struggle through Christmas in your prayers.

4 comments:

LSDPB said...

I am a recipient of one of your mailed out cards. Your thoughtfulness and words were overwhelming but so comforting. I felt like God's hands were at that moment placed around me. I often suffer in silence to be the strong one for others. Your card has been placed near a photo of my lost one which I have surrounded with angels.

Laura said...

Thoughtful words are among the best gifts to receive. And as old fashion as snail mail is...what a treat to open the mailbox to a a personal letter. We should all be inspired.....

Nan said...

I remember getting a card from Nancy Knox one Christmas when we were dealing with a family crisis. Much as I love Christmas, there were many things that I was not looking forward to as our relationship with part of our extended family was very fragile. Nancy and I had talked a number of times about what was going on, and in her Christmas card that Christmas, she took the time to comment on the fact that she knew it would be a difficult Christmas and offered her words of comfort and blessings of this wonderful season. It really helped, as I'm sure your notes to those needing a little extra support this year, helped each person who received one. I keep that card with my Christmas address list, so that I come across it each year, re-read it, and remind myself that there may be someone that I could give a little extra support to especially at Christmas. Many thanks for all you do to make the season, if not brighter, then at least bearable.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for each of these responses. I am realizing that handwritten notes are something of an anachronism now, and yet "snail mail" does matter.

LSDPB, it is good to hear from you. The temptation is not to write because it feels as though any words are woefully inadequate. In fact they are, but that's okay, I think.