Monday, December 13, 2010

Happy Giving?


We went to the Oshawa Centre Mall on Saturday afternoon. I know, I know, what were we thinking? We realized that we needed to cease the opportunity to shop together, but it wasn't pretty. Getting into the parking lot, finding a spot, negotiating check-out lines were all trials sent to test our patience. I keep hearing that the local economy is still struggling and that Canadians are drowning in debt. You wouldn't know this from the shopping centre crowds.

I really do enjoy finding the right gifts for the important people in my life but I find the experience of mall shopping a soulless nightmare. In one store we went to check-outs at opposite ends so that we wouldn't be aware of the other's purchases. As I waited in line I saw the sign at the register -- Happy Giving. Happy Giving? Once upon a time we could say "Merry Christmas" because the season was and to mind still is about Christ. It eventually morphed into "Happy Holidays," such an innocuous phrase. With Happy Giving, can Happy Spending be far off?

Do I protest too much? Do you find that there is too much emphasis on stuff at Christmas? Do you feel pressure to spend what you don't have? Have you seen Christ anywhere lately?

4 comments:

IanD said...

Reclaim the space, man!

I was told last year at our "Holiday" assembly that there was a parent in the crowd that would call the board in a paroxysm of 'separation of church and state-ism' if I played one "traditional" Christmas carol on the piano that night.

I went ahead and played a ton of them anyway, and to the best of my knowledge, there were no complaints.

Sometimes you have to wonder what people are thinking: is believing in NOTHING better than believing in something ... ?

Laura said...

I saw Christ in the smile and steady-ing arm that greeted the seniors' lunch-out crowd on a cold, wet day last week as they arrived for a turkey dinner. The greeters didn't just wait at the door for the seniors to make their way in, but scooted out to the cars as they were dropped off with a warm smile and a hand. I found watching this interaction boosted my spirit which does get deflated with all the talk of "stuff" this time of year.

David Mundy said...

Your seditious behaviour is appreciated Ian!

I agree Laura that the support of the volunteers (including the kitchen workers) and staff for Lunch Out is inspiring all through the year and a practical sign of Christ's presence.

sjd said...

I do feel pressure to spend more than I can afford.
Yes, there is too much emphasis on stuff.
No I have not seen much of Christ except at church.
Good for you Ian for not giving in on the music. You and I may have this in common. If someone tells me I can't do something, and I don't agree, I become more determined to do it. Strengh of character, or anti-social behaviour? You be the judge.
Keep Christ in Christmas! Rock on!