Thursday, December 16, 2010

Give What Ya Got


Mark Zuckerberg has been in the news alot this year. The founder of Facebook has been the subject of a film which is on a lot of critics' Top Ten lists, interviewed on Sixty Minutes and now Time Magazine's Person of the Year.

This young man (27) has a personal wealth estimated at just under seven billion dollars --yup, that's a b for billion. But he isn't all that materialistic, wearing tee-shirts most of the time, and flip-flops, and still living in an apartment. He made news recently by joining the group of Rich-people-not-like-us who have pledged to give away most of their wealth by the time they are 65. Now for some who have joined the Giving Pledge this timeline looms large. For Zuckerberg it may seem like some distant la-la land. Hey, he is willing to say that he will give away the loot. It is public, and he isn't make excuses.

I don't think any of you are harbouring vast storehouses of secret wealth, but have you become more or less generous with what God has given you over time? Do you find that you are more generous to charitable causes at this time of the year which has become synonymous with generosity? Have I been asking the wrong questions lately, because you are collectively rather quiet?

6 comments:

Laurie said...

I give to charity all year round. As for wondering why we are silent, my excuse is SNOW. To much digging, shovelling, scrapping ice etc. Did I mention I don't like winter.

roger said...

I try to give throughout the year, although I also think giving one's time is also important.

My sister is involved in a bowling league in Toronto for mentally challenged people, and although I have volunteered there in the past, I would like to try to start something similar in this neck of the woods. I know how important it is in my sister's life as well as her fellow bowlers, and it becomes the highlight of their week.

I just hope I don't need any skill in bowling to get started!

Nancy said...

We give throughout the year and this year instead of material gifts to our friends we are giving to local outreach and local charities in their honour. Our daughter's teachers asked that we not give them anything this year, but asked that we donate to the charity of our choice. We have done that. As a parent, I think it is important to teach our children to give back to their community, whether it be in their time, treasures or talent. Our daughter is involved in the choices we make in our giving.

IanD said...

Each year at Christmas, I ask that parents of the kids in my class consider donating $10.00 to the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation on behalf of my extended family, who has been affected by the disease.

To date, since 2001, my classes and I have raised over $600.00 for the Foundation.

Susan said...

My regular charities get regular contributions or at their special time of the year (ie church and Terry Fox Run), but, all other requests for donations are kept until December to be reviewed. At that time the request is either granted or filed under R. When I first started working as a teen, my parents strongly encouraged me to strive towards tithing my earnings. At the moment, I am struggling to tithe but to give/share with the various charaties is very deeply ingrained within my psyche.

Deborah Laforet said...

I also give year round. I find it overwhelming to get so many requests at Christmas.

Life has been busy, but I've caught up. We are also buried in snow and lots of Christmas activities.