Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Gift of the Season

I know that you are all busy, so I will offer a few vignettes during the next few days which will reflect some of my contacts. Although I won't throw in the usual questions, as always you are welcome to respond.

Last Thursday I attended the Christmas dinner for the Making Connections Clarington drop-in which takes place twice a week at St. John's Anglican church. A group from St. Paul's cooks the turkey dinner with the fixin's, and one of our members, Anne Marie, is a key person in working with this group all year long.

All I had to do was eat and chat with the gang, many of whom I have known for a number of years. They come to the Lunch Out dinner at St. Paul's (what wonderful people we have!) and they came to our first Gathering Place meal. I sat with two people I hadn't met before including an older woman named Pat. Pat didn't have her teeth in, so our conversation involved a fair amount of guess work on my part.

She immediately asked me to pray for a situation in her life, and it was clear that she expected me to respond on the spot, which I did. I kidded with her as we ate and she cackled: "Dave, you're a regular Woody Allen." I'm assuming that's a good thing, although I'm a little dubious. As we ate our meal she held up her fork with beans impaled on it, announcing "these are good for your bowels!' No argument here.

As I left I thanked her for the date and she responded "don't tell your wife." This is a group of people who have not always been treated well in life, in part because of struggles with mental health. They might be bitter and wary. Yet they are, for the most part, amazingly open, express gratitude without hesitation, and have senses of humour.

They are loved by God and Christ came for them. For me they are a gift of the Season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once, I mentioned to one of the members at Clarington Connections that I walked through the creek to get home. A concerned expression crossed his face, and he patted my shoulder. "Do you really?" he asked. "Don't you get wet?" I could tell he wanted to help me make better decisions in the future. He laughed when I explained what I meant by walking 'through the creek.' I very obviously needed his help. We assume we are being understood, just because we understand ourselves, but it becomes apparent how it is equally important to understand things from the perspective of the listener, and see the world the world through that person's eyes.

Laura said...

Pupil...your response, along with David's blog entry gave me two good chuckles today...thank you!

David Mundy said...

What a worthwhile point to make pupil. You're right that this gang is often quite compassionate and concerned for others, even if the thought processes might be a tad off kilter.

Thanks to both of you, and keep your feet dry!