Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Calculated Gamble


Yesterday President Obama decided to declare himself on same-gender marriage in a statement that is bound to angry those to the political and religious right. The Washington Post describes his decision to endorse same-gender marriage as a "calculated gamble" aware that many fundraisers and supporters are gay. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/president-obamas-calculated-gamble-on-gay-marriage/2012/05/09/gIQAxlsWDU_blog.html?hpid=z2

At least Obama is willing to take a stand in a country where thirty states have passed anti-same-gender legislation. The latest to do so was North Carolina and one of the state's prominent citizens, Billy Graham, spoke against gay marriage. I'm glad that the president was willing to say that in part his decision was a matter of Christian faith, which no doubt will bring on the wrath of many. Take a look at this article from Sojourners Christian magazine which includes some of the text of Obama's remarks: http://sojo.net/blogs/2012/05/09/president-obama-backs-same-sex-marriage

I will be at a conference in the States in July, so it will be interesting to speak with American colleagues about this. The events I attend are usually made up of folk from the liberal minority but I am always fascinated by their perspectives.
You might also be interested in these differing views from the BBC news service.

What do you think of Obama's "calculated gamble."

3 comments:

IanD said...

It was a brave thing to do, and I suspect that history will show him to be on the right side of this issue.

I also think that, in time, Obama's remarks on sexual equality will stand alongside John Kennedy's televised remarks on racial equality in 1961-2,or Lyndon Johnson's remarks to Congress before the passage of the Civil Rights Bill in 1964. They all append to watershed changes in the American social outlook.

In political terms, I don't see this as much of a liability for the president. Those who dislike him or who wouldn't vote for him already do and won't ... this will just deepen those feelings. If anything, I would suggest it might energize his base, including the youth demographic who voted for him in 2008.

All told, it's an unprecedented moment in American history.

roger said...

You have to respect a leader who actually comes out with an opinion one way or the other, instead of blathering on and trying to not offend anyone.

This just makes me hope even more that he gets re-elected in November.

Laura said...

Courageous, I thought.
Was also thinking of this blog on gay marriage and a blog of a few weeks ago about cohabitation versus marriage...I think you challenged readers to think a bit more deeply (and courageously ) about our convictions on the conventions of traditional marriage, as most responders that day ( myself included)waffled towards societal changes away from marriage.
Made me spend some time reaffirming my belief in the institution of marriage, even at the risk of sounding old fashioned, and then today it occurred to me that
although I do support an old institution, that institution is changing with the times,thankfully.