Friday, May 18, 2012

Faith for All Ages

Last evening we wrapped up our Confirmation/Exploring our Faith sessions for this Spring. The group numbered fifteen with seven teens, several thirty-somethings, a couple in their fifties and another in their sixties. This year I included interviews with four people who have joined the church in recent years with the teens, twenties, thirties and beyond represented. All four of the interviewees have become quite involved in congregational life, rather than viewing confirmation as graduation.


I have enjoyed this varied group and I chatted with the woman from the couple in their sixties the other day. She good-humouredly suggested that they were the fogeys, which they aren't. She went on to comment on how impressed she is by the seven teens. We agreed that they are self-confident, thoughtful, willing to talk about faith. And she knows this is a rarity in mainline churches these days, including the Anglican church from which they came.


Once again I gave credit to the excellent leadership with children and youth we have enjoyed through the years, both volunteers and paid staff. I am convinced that our commitment to a staff member for children and youth has returned rich dividends in the faith development of our young people. Of course the term Confirmation refers to confirming the decisions of parents in baptism, and I hope all of the group feels that they are affirming and confirming their faith in Christ.


Comments?

4 comments:

IanD said...

Sewing those seeds is important if the congregation is to survive.

As I was driving home last night, I couldn't help but notice the massive addition that's in its final stages at the large church in the west end on highway two. Though I'm unsure of its denomination, it's obvious that they're enjoying a congregational boom.

I wonder why?

Laura said...

As my teen arrives home, reporting in on the night's guest with great enthusiasm, I am reminded of a workshop I attended at our church in Calgary years ago, for young parents. The minister's analogy on raising children of faith was reminding us that they weren't bottles to be stuffed full of stories and info, but candles to be lit. The Spirit within needs to be lit....Seeing and hearing the stories of these faith filled members is catching. A brilliant idea...
Also love the mixed generation classes....I have little recollection of my own classes other than a photo of 20 some young teens, many who I had rarely if ever seen at church, and a new dress...kind of sad....it's funny though...CGIT seemed to Light the flame for me, as 4 moms led us with grace and connection.

Read4ever365 said...

Sorry I missed the last night of the classes as I have been thoroughly enjoying them. I'm not sure if David has me grouped in with the people in their thirties, fifties or sixties but I'm actually in my forties. (I'll hope he was leaning toward the thirties???) No matter what age, everyone had something to add and yes, the youth were most impressive with their enthusiasm and the high quality of reflections they were willing to share about faith. I wonder if I can go through confirmation again next year just to hear from the next generation!

David Mundy said...

I am the servant of a generous God Brenda, so willingly lean toward generosity in ages!

The mixed group is a pleasure for me and looking at the astonished faces of the teens as I explained immersion baptism in the Baptist church was worth the prcie of admission.

I like the minister's analogy Laura.