Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Cupcake Club


The Cupcakes are shutting down for the summer. I mean the fifteen or so little tykes who have been meeting at St. Paul's for the Cupcake Club, a group name as enticing as you're going to find. These children come together to play, learn about God, and --you guessed it -- eat cupcakes. What's not to like?

Last Saturday I arrived at the church to prepare for a wedding and there was the gang of them on the lawn, having lots of fun with a parachute. I got a dose of waves and a couple of leg tackles, aka hugs, and went on my way.

I am so impressed that this group is happening and provides another entry point to life in Christian community for our children, to go along with Junior Choir, Sunday School, Junior Young Peoples, and Hi-C. I never would have thought of a Cupcake Club, so thank God for Laura, our child and youth staff person, as well as the parents who provide support.

And thank God for children!

Any cupcake parents out there who care to comment? Any other thoughts or kudos?

6 comments:

IanD said...

I have two cupcakers, and they brought two friends with them each week. It goes without saying that EVERYONE loved it. My spouse, Danielle, made the cupcakes each time, and lemme tell ya: try herding four wicked-excited 7-year olds on foot to St. Paul's while balancing a carry case with 24 cupcakes in it!

Why go to the gym on weekends, when I can do this once a month?

Many thanks to Laura for providing the programming. It was amazing, and we're looking forward to resuming in the fall, I believe.

Laura said...

My true pleasure, Ian. I love this age group's openness and earnestness.....and energy. I look forward to our Saturdays together.
What other group can you lead, where granted there are many "interruptions", some funny, some random , many wise and some just wonderful, like the one little fellow who raised his hand mid story to say "I like you" only to be outdone by a little girl across the circle raising her hand to say "I love you". There is much we can learn from these kids.
Kudos need to go to those parents and grandparents for seeing it important enough to get going one more morning a month, and also to those generous parents/grandparents and tweens who have stayed as extra hands....it could not happen without them.
See you in September .....

janet.rice said...

Kudos to LAURA whose outstanding work is both imaginative and vital to the growth of our inter-generational church family.

Lynnof60 said...

Um. I want an adult cupcake club and I'm not kidding!!!

Read4ever365 said...

I think Lynn may have something there......
Cupcakes are inter-generational!!!!
Brenda

David Mundy said...

Cupcake Club...perhaps the best organizational name ever! I'm with those of you showering praie on Laura. And thanks to Danielle for provding the aforementioned baking.

Now, how to justify a Cupcake Club for adults...