Monday, May 21, 2012

Living Planet


I always brace myself for the exodus of this weekend and its impact on worship attendance. The beautiful forecast means that many of us will be enjoying time out-of-doors, and why not. Even in heavily populated Southern Ontario we are blessed with lakes, trails, and many churchgoers will be cottage-goers this long weekend.

We are also a wealthy nation which is Bigfoot in terms of its ecological footprint, This has been confirmed by the World Wildlife Fund Living Planet report released recently.

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/all_publications/living_planet_report/

Canada continues to add to its ecological debt through unsustainable consumption of its natural resources, says a new report released Tuesday by an international conservation group.The Living Planet Report, released by WWF International, said the footprint of the average Canadian is 2 1/2 times greater than that of the planet's average citizen. More than half of that Canadian footprint is coming from the consumption of fossil fuels, such as gasoline and the resulting heat-trapping gases that cause global warming.The conservation group said that humans would need 3.5 planets to meet their resource demands if all people consumed as much as the average Canadian.

http://www.canada.com/technology/report+criticizes+Canadians+ecological+footprint/6623148/story.html#ixzz1uwYZjrDr
Would you say you are doing more or less today than a year ago, or five, when it comes to your ecological footprint? Are you more or less discouraged? What should the role of the church be? Government?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't think of a time when the earth was not important to me but I do think a lot more about my footprint that I did 5 years ago.

I think Mardi Tindel has done a magnificent job during her time as moderator. She has been steadfast and sincere in her efforts to promote awareness of egological justice and she has broadened my own knowledge about the link between environmental concerns and social justice. i am going to miss her as moderator.

roger said...

I try to do my part: walking or cycling rather than driving, when possible; picking up garbage and recycling on my way to work occasionally; and just being mindful in general of the environment. I can always do better though.

sjd said...

I'm aware of what I can do. I'm sorry to say I have a bigger foot these days with running my kids all over the place, and my longer drive to work.
I'm on top of our recycling, and energy consumption in the house. It's the mini van that's doing 40,000km per year.

David Mundy said...

We too continue to be mindful about reducing our footprint and we also are aware that we sometimes contradict our own values. Hey, I'm the guy who flies across the continent to conferences on how to care for Creation!

Mardi would be pleased by your appreciation Lori. Unfortunately her important message has been dulled somewhat by the sense among a fair number of those in the trenches -- namely clergy -- who wish she could see how many of us are gamely holding on during tough times. I happen to agree that she has done a good job of upholding God's care for all living things.