Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Giving up Distraction, and Outrage, for Lent

 Image result for lenten denial

It's 14 days since Lent commenced and I've managed to keep one on of my commitments for this liturgical season, at least so far. I have restricted myself to an hour's use of my phone, or less, each day. Given that we don't have a landline and our family texts with one another a fair amount I'm pleased. 

I described this as "giving up distraction" for Lent and that has actually occurred, to a large extent. Of course I can fudge and look at Twitter at my computer if I choose, or do many other tasks which I might do on the phone otherwise. But I find I don't fritter away time in mindless diversion or even what I perceive as useful stuff. I'm reading an 800 page historical novel at the moment and previously I would have stopped repeatedly to look up references or check background information for the era. Since I'm not doing this I stay with the narrative thread and keep on reading...what a concept!

 Image result for lenten denial cartoons

There is a valuable if inadvertent side effect to this commitment, which is "giving up outrage" for Lent. It wasn't my intention, but restricting the use of social media lowers the temperature of my indignation about circumstances and people. Face it, the Trump outrage is virtually daily and can actually alter several times within a day. To be blunt, the man is a misogynistic, racist, narcissist without ceasing. Knowing his consistency, why would I choose to wind myself up in a perverse version of Groundhog Day? I'm managing to stay informed about our world without unending immersion in negativity. Surely Christ's call to justice doesn't require me or any of us to be wading in the muck in real time? Praying without ceasing isn't outrage without ceasing.

Where will this take me, once Lent is over? I'm not sure but I'm convince that this is better for my spirit. 

Thoughts?   
 Image result for lenten denial cartoons

1 comment:

Tonya Becker Becker said...

I want to testify about United blank atm cards which can withdraw money from any atm machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no job. I saw so many testimony about how United hackers send them the atm blank card and use it to collect money in any atm machine and become rich. I email them also and they sent me the blank atm card. I have use it to get 90,000 dollars. withdraw the maximum of 5,000 USD daily. United hackers is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any atm machine vault with the use of atm programmed card which runs in automatic mode.

Email: unitedblankatmhackcard1@gmail.com