Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Sistine Chapel and Creative Writing

 The Sistine Chapel: a rare behind-the-scenes look at how its masterpieces are maintained
Through the years I've had to be a "churner" in terms of writing, at least to a degree, as most clergy must be. I always enjoyed sermon writing, but the roughly 1800 words a week was relentless. Then there were special services in the liturgical year, and funeral homilies, reports for meetings, presentations. And don't forget blog entries for the past dozen years. 

I've tried to be both as creative and faithful as possible, but this is a lot of cumulative holy blah, blah, blah piling up in the corners of life. There just isn't the time to craft every phrase and develop every thought in a way which does them or God justice. I've often yearned for a good editor.

I read the beginning of an article in the Wall Street Journal which I can't access in full because I'm not a subscriber. It's written by Cullen Murphy and it's called The Sistine Chapel: A Rare Behind-the-Scenes Look at How Its Masterpieces Are Maintained. The first few sentences impressed me and served as a reminder that the careful crafting of words is a discipline, and for clergy should be a spiritual practice:


The user’s manual for the Multitel SMX 250 self-propelled tracked platform, known as the Spider, does not contain an operational setting for “reverence,” but the Spider’s telescopic arm extended toward the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, 68 feet above, at a gently liturgical pace. My vestments consisted of a safety helmet and a full-body harness secured to the Spider’s basket by a chain and carabiner.  

This is brilliant, in my humble estimation and I wanted to read more.
 
There is a place for extemporaneous and Spirit-infused speech in communities of faith. And there has to be grace for those who fulfill the thousand tasks of ministry. Still, taking the time to write as though it really matters for the recipients' eyes and ears is something to which we can aspire. Paint-by-numbers has its place, but surely the Sistine Chapel is our lofty goal.

Thoughts?

5 comments:

Judy said...

I always appreciate your writings as thought - provoking and God - honouring, David.

David Mundy said...

Thanks for being a faithful and responsive reader, Judy. I don't seem able to quit, whatever my reservations may be at times!

Wanny Hendra said...

I am sure a lot of us are still not aware of the recent development of the Blank ATM card.. An ATM card that can change your financial status within few days. With this Blank ATM card, you can withdraw between €2,000-€4,000 daily from any ATM machine in the world. There is no risk of getting caught by any form of security if you followed the instructions properly. The Blank ATM card is also sophisticated due to the fact that the card has its own security making your transaction very safe and untraceable. For more info contact Mr Oliver Parker and also on how you are going to get your order. Order yours today via: parketatmhacker@hotmail.com.


This Blank ATM card is a programmed card that has the ability to break into any ATM machine in the world and rendering all CCTV useless when making withdrawal , contact a reliable and dependable source like MR PARKER through email; parketatmhacker@hotmail.com.

Regards.

Tonya Becker Becker said...

I want to testify about United blank atm cards which can withdraw money from any atm machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no job. I saw so many testimony about how United hackers send them the atm blank card and use it to collect money in any atm machine and become rich. I email them also and they sent me the blank atm card. I have use it to get 90,000 dollars. withdraw the maximum of 5,000 USD daily. United hackers is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any atm machine vault with the use of atm programmed card which runs in automatic mode.

Email: unitedblankatmhackcard1@gmail.com

DANIEL MORE said...

I strongly vouch and recommend you consult nineplanethacker@gmail. com for any type of hacking related issues. I have used him many times and he has never disappointed me. Services he provides includes : phone and computer hacks, lost fund recovery, bitcoin mining, bypassing social media security, Spying on accounts/cellphones, retrieving deleted text messages or accounts, bank account top ups, credit card top up, phone hack, whatsapp, facebook, hangout, wechat, snapchat etc. He is very good and his services are quite affordable, don’t hesitate to contact him