Saturday, March 16, 2019

Jesuit Priorities








 Pope Francis greets Father Arturo Sosa Abascal, superior general of the Society of Jesus

There has been a lot of news about the ugly side of the Roman Catholic church of late, all of it deserved, it seems to me. The multi-generational sexual abuse of children and women (including nuns) around the world, and the systemic cover-up by those who were entrusted with their care is gut-wrenching. 

In the midst of this the superior of the Jesuits, one branch of Roman Catholicism, presented four priorities for the members of the Society of Jesus over the next ten years. Pope Francis approved these four universal "apostolic preferences" recently.They are:
  1. To show the way to God through discernment and the Spiritual Exercises;
  2. To walk with the poor, the outcasts of the world, those whose dignity has been violated, in a mission of reconciliation and justice;
  3. To accompany young people in the creation of a hope-filled future;
  4. To collaborate in the care of our Common Home.
The Ignatian spiritual exercises are the traditional contemplative practices of the Jesuits. The Common Home refers to Laudato Si, Pope Francis' encyclical on Creation Care. When I look at these I am hopeful. While I might choose another approach to contemplation I can see the importance of all four of these priorities in my life as a Christian. 

I commend the Jesuits for endorsing these four preferences and I hope they are salt, light, and leaven for the Roman Catholic church. 

 Image result for laudato si

No comments: