Sunday, March 17, 2019

The Celts and Fresh Beginnings

 Image result for st patrick contemporary art
 Sister Mary Grace Thul, O.P. 



Bless to me, O God,
Each thing mine eye sees;
Bless to me, O God,
Each sound mine ear hears;
Bless to me, O God,
Each odour that goes to my nostrils
Bless to me, O God,
Each taste that goes to my lips;
Each note that goes to my song,
Each ray that guides my way,
Each thing that I pursue.
Each lure that tempts my will,
The zeal that seeks my living soul.
The Three that seek my heart,
The zeal that seeks my living soul,
The Three that seek my heart.


Rising Prayer
 
I've mentioned that earlier this year I led a three-week study of Celtic Christianity with a group of 15 souls from Trenton United Church, our home congregation.  I've led studies on this subject several times through the years in different congregations I served as pastor, so I wasn't sure I wanted to go down that path again. I'm glad I did, with new insights for me, and the discovery of resources which are either recently published or previously unknown.

They include:

The Brendan Voyage -- Tim Severin
The Four Elements: Reflections on Nature -- John O'Donohue
Thomas Merton and the Celts -- Monica Weis

Amongst those insights is that Celtic communal worship took place outside for centuries, even as churches were being built. Often churches were built in the midst of trees which were of significance. And the Celtic Christians who were called to the "eremitic" or hermit life, rather than the "cenobitic" or communal life would enter into praise and contemplation in the elements. 

This Spring I will begin offering worship experiences outside, which I've planned to do for a while. As a result of the study group I'm aware that I'll be offering an "old/new" opportunity which springs from a deep tradition. Of course, Jesus held a few worship experiences out-of-doors himself.  

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Bless to me, O God, the moon that is above me.
Bless to me, O God, the earth that is beneath me,
Bless to me, O God, my wife and my children,
And bless, O God, myself who have care of them... 


Rest Benediction 

 Image result for st patrick cartoons

1 comment:

DANIEL MORE said...

I strongly vouch and recommend you consult nineplanethacker@gmail. com for any type of hacking related issues. I have used him many times and he has never disappointed me. Services he provides includes : phone and computer hacks, lost fund recovery, bitcoin mining, bypassing social media security, Spying on accounts/cellphones, retrieving deleted text messages or accounts, bank account top ups, credit card top up, phone hack, whatsapp, facebook, hangout, wechat, snapchat etc. He is very good and his services are quite affordable, don’t hesitate to contact him